two

"Violet! Come here, darling."

The voice which undeniably belongs to my mother rings into my ears. I put down the record I was about to place onto the gramophone and cautiously walk towards the stairs. After my parents had arrived home, I could hear Aggie talking to them downstairs, and I think I know what I'm being called for.

At the foot of the stairs stand my mother and father, still in their white jackets, and aunt Aggie.

"Hello mother, father." I say quietly, forcing a smile.

"Hello darling. I think we have some matters to discuss." My mother says, using her arm to herd me back into the living room. She and my father sit on the sofa while Aggie and I settle ourselves onto the armchairs opposite.

"Your aunt has explained to us the circumstances." My father begins, peering over his spectacles with his dark brown eyes which I've inherited myself. " And your mother and I understand that you would like to go and live in an institution for young people like yourself. Is that correct Violet?"

I nod, my deep orange curls bounce around my face.

"We believe that you're safer here, sweetie." Mother continues. My heart drops, all excitement drains from me. "I'd like to be able to come home from work and see you at home."

"You'd be able to write to her Martha-" Aggie starts.

"It's not quite the same, Aggie." Mother interrupts, a distinct aggravation towards her little sister. "For all we know, Violet, this woman could be a lunatic, and channeling her lunacy into innocent vulnerable youths like you." I stay silent.

"Martha, let me explain. There are plenty of these places around the world, and they are the safest places for peculiar children to go. Violet will be much safer and happier there."

"She's happy here!" My mother snaps - her irritation rapidly increasing. "Aren't you Violet?"

All three of them stare at me expectantly. I don't know how to answer, because I'm not very happy here.

"Well, um," I stutter - I desperately don't want to hurt their feelings. "Not really, actually. I can't say I'm that amicable with Mary, and I'm left to my own devices often. It's not that fun having to be on my own most of the day..."

This is obviously a revelation to both of my parents, for they look taken aback and puzzled. Eventually, my father is the first to speak again.

"I'm afraid Violet that you're never going to be able to go to a normal school because-"

"Because you're afraid I'll do something that will embarrass you, or bring shame on the family?" The words tumble from my mouth before I can stop myself. However, I wouldn't put it past my parents to think like that. Both of them are very proud, always have been.

"Violet, we don't know what you're capable of-"

"I can heal things, Mother! That's hardly something which will bring shame on you!" I've risen from my seat and I'm shouting now. They've dashed the biggest feeling of joy I've felt in years. Before I know it, I'm sprinting upstairs in a fit of rage. They call after me but I don't listen. I run past the doors on the upstairs hallway until I reach my own.

Slamming the door shut, I slide my body down the wood and allow tears of anger to roll down my cheeks. In amongst my sobs I hear Aggie and my mother having a shouting match downstairs. I move from my seat at the foot of the door to my bed, which creaks with a sense on melancholia beneath my weight. My pillow becomes sodden with my rage-ridden tears as I continue to cry my anger away, distraught at not even having once chance at being normal.

Two uniform knocks clunk through the door. I'd not noticed that the shouting has ceased. Mumbling a unintelligible 'come in', I crane my neck around to my right to see who's entering and, if necessary, prepare to argue my case one last time. Thankfully, there's no need, as Aggie creeps through my door and shuts it softly behind her.

"Hello, honey." She says quietly, she lowers herself onto my bed. "They really don't want you to go, but I haven't explained about the loops yet."

"The loops?"

"Remember how I said the headmistresses can manipulate time? Well, in order to keep the children safe, the choose a safe day and create a loop. At the same time every day they reset it, and they can live in that day forever."

"Go and tell them that, Aggie!" I plead, grappling at another chance to get them to agree. She springs from the mattress and strides out the door. More talking downstairs. I sit in a ball on my bed, waiting patiently for a new verdict.

I can distinctly hear my mother getting upset. She screeches phrases such as "you won't take her from me" and "she's not going to a madhouse", and I suddenly feel awful that Aggie's taking a beating for me. I wonder if I should go down there and come to her aid, but I decide against it. I don't want to risk getting into any more arguments.

No more than five minutes later, my mother's appears to have stopped screaming, her tone has reduced to a muffled mutter, and my father has remained silent on the matter. Not long after the change in tone I hear my doorknob click open. Behind it, in the corridor, stands my parents. My mother's cheeks are tear stained and streaked with mascara. Cautiously, they approach me and perch on the end of my bed. My father wraps an arm around his wife.

"Violet, we've been - discussing." I hold back a chuckle from my father, knowing what went on was rather aggressive 'discussing'. "And your mother and I have decided that, if you'll be happier in this institution, we'll allow you to attend-"

"But if anybody lays a finger on you, you're coming straight home!" My mother interrupts, her voice cracks occasionally. "And we'll miss you astronomically, darling." Her hand brushes mine as she manages a tiny smile.

"You'll still have Rosanna, mother." I say in an attempt to comfort her, I refer to my older sister, who is studying in the north.

"I suppose, but even then we'll be missing a piece of the Le Doré family." She whispers as a tear slips from her eye. Aggie enters as she says this, her lips curled into a triumphant smile.

"I best get home," she murmurs, tapping my mother on the shoulder in order to get her attention. Then she flicks her brown eyes to me. "I'll send the letter tomorrow morning, and I'll bring you the reply. Goodbye my loves." Aggie blows me a kiss as she exits my bedroom, leaving me alone with my parents in a dense silence: filled with a mixture of sadness and also high spirits - the latter mostly from me.