three

14th September 1943

Dearest Agatha,

Thank you for your letter. Your niece will be very welcome here, and I am willing to take her on. However, at this time we are on a ship in the middle of the Celtic Sea on our way to a new house, which I believe both you and I will recognise. I shall notify you with the address when we arrive and your niece and yourself can come on down.

We lost our previous home in an incident involving a creature of Mr Barron's creation. Thankfully, I'm sure you will be pleased to hear, that he has been slain. Of course, I cannot take credit for the feats achieved in these past days, for it was the children in my care. They are the real heroes of the story. Whilst on the subject of the children, many of them are ecstatic at the news of Miss le Doré's imminent arrival; they simply cannot wait for a new friend.

As of her duties, please let her know that as one of the older children, she'll be expected to help care for the younger children as well as being responsible for her bedroom in the house and cleaning her plates and cutlery after every meal. No passengers are carried in this household.

I very much look forward to seeing you both in the near future. Best wishes, Alma LeFay Peregrine.

I beam as I read the letter. Aggie fiddles with the envelope in the garden chair opposite me, she flashes a self-satisfied smirk as I lower the letter from my eye level. It's been about a week since Aggie posted the letter to the headmistress - goodness only knows how she managed to send her reply if she's on a boat in the middle of the Celtic sea. I set the paper down on the table and grin at my aunt as we bask in the late-afternoon sunlight.

"They sound happy to have you, Vi." She chirps, drumming her fingers on the table surface.

"When are you going to reply?" I enquire, although judging by her expression I would not be surprised if she already had.

"I posted it on my journey here, luckily for you." She winks at me while confirming my suspicion. I chuckle to myself at how fabulous she really is, and continue sipping my cup of tea. "Perhaps we should begin getting your things ready to go."

"It will be at least another week before she replies Aggie, there's no rush."

"Yes, but it would be rather unfortunate for you to forget anything. Also, we don't know how long it'll take them to be ready for you. Maybe even the day after next." Aggie rises from her chair and extends a hand to me. I'm dragged from my seat and we walk up to my disarrayed bedroom arm in arm. Over the past days I've been sorting through my clothes and trying to see what would fit into one suitcase. However, I acquired a second suitcase, and eventually gave up on the idea.

Aggie instructs me to sit at my dresser while she inspects the chaos that lies before her. Then, garment by garment, she examines each item of clothing before either lying it in one of the cases or discarding it into a pile that forms on the floor. She's ruthless, however I trust her decision, considering that's she's a very glamorous and stylish woman herself. Occasionally, she'll lay one or two items together on the bed and reassure herself that something will make an outfit. Aggie purges through my skirts and replaces some with pinafores or some forgotten trousers from my drawers.

Once she's done, she replaces all the clothes I will not be taking to my new home back into the wardrobe. Then she leaves me to sort out my undergarments and anything else I may need. Resisting the urge to sneak a too-small cardigan or frock into my case for nostalgia's sake, I sort through my underwear drawers and carelessly throw silk knickers and strange-shaped brassieres under my clothes to avoid embarrassment if one of my parents should walk in later.

I carefully place my beloved makeup case I'd received for Christmas one year in the second case. It was a little pointless, seeing as I've never left the house past a makeup-wearing age, however I have used the products inside to beautify myself for my own entertainment. The case is followed by several pairs of brogues which have barely been worn, as I'm so very attached to my baby-doll heels. The array of heeled shoes take pride of place atop my makeup case.

"Miss Le Doré,"

Startled, I turn from my packing and see the housekeeper standing sternly in the doorframe. Her skinny arms are folded tightly; they look as if they're about to snap. Her thin lips are almost non-existent as she presses them together.

"What on earth are you doing?" She hisses, her eyes squint maliciously.

"I-I'm moving away." I say with as much confidence I can stir up. The woman scares me.

"I'm going to have to consult your parents about this-"

"They already know." I feel myself becoming angry with her and her sly intentions. "And with whatever respect due it is really none of your business." I snap and turn back to my suitcases, hoping she'll go away.

"I do not appreciate that kind of cheek, madam." Her footsteps approach me, however I don't turn to face her. "Don't ignore me, Violet. As your governess I demand the upmost respect-"

The sound of the door opening interrupts her. Saved, I turn quickly and dart from my bedroom before she can raise her voice at me like she has in the past.

At the base of the stairs, my mother is hanging her white coat on the hatstand. I stumble downstairs and tumble into her arms. This surprises her, but she wraps her arms around me.

"I don't think Mary's going to miss me, mother." I assert to her, glad to be getting rid of the frightful character.