The Pocket Universe Effect (Frerard One-Shot)

"Frankie?" The shorter boy looks over at him, and Gerard turns his eyes within an instant. They've sat in silence for far too long. It wasn't an awkward silence, it was a welcomed silence, but Frank knows he can't stare and look at the stars for as long as Gerard can.

Gerard has this sort of ‘obsession’ with the night sky; neither of them particularly know as to how, when, or why it started, but that doesn’t matter now because it’s as much a part of Gerard as his cute, small teeth are. Well, Frank thinks Gerard’s small teeth are cute – Gerard disagrees entirely.

"Mmm..." Frank responds absent-mindedly, his eyes entangled with the stars, and the matter of watching them ensnaring his mind. Frank likes the stars, but not as much as he likes Gerard's eyes. He doesn't think he's going to admit that any time soon though; he thinks Gerard might not take it as well as he’d like him to. Frank’s wrong.

Frank's just a little stubborn when it comes to his 'crush' on Gerard. He'd barely even call it a crush. For him, it's just a phase, a thing, but deep down he knows it's really not. Crushes don't last ten months and don't make you think about people the way he thinks about Gerard.

Frank doesn’t just look at Gerard, he really looks. He notices and admires every single detail about the boy: he notices the messy roots of his hair that aren’t quite the same colour as the rest of dyed red mess; he notices the way his hazel eyes catch the light and flicker golden in the most captivating way ever known; he notices the way the boy bites his lip when he’s nervous and the way he doesn’t really how cute he looks when he’s doing it; he notices the way the Gerard smokes like it’s art, making beautiful shapes in the nicotine clouds, exhaling the beautiful, yet lung rotting smoke as if he was born to do nothing else; Frank doesn’t notices the way Gerard is in love with him, though.

"How late is it?" Gerard's voice comes out quiet, barely a whisper, but it need not be louder in Frank's back yard; the quiet suburbs of Jersey providing a perfect environment for hushed whispers to be shared, and the early hours of a Friday morning providing the privacy to ensure no one listens in up Frank and Gerard’s early morning whispers.

The rest of the world's silent; their voices are the only things to be heard and Frank can pretend that they're the only two people on earth right now. Frank would like that very much as Gerard seems to be the only person that cares about Frank in the whole world, and Frank has this strong, if not slightly stuck up attitude where if someone doesn’t care about him, he simply refuses to care about them.

"Late." Frank doesn't know how late, and part of him quite frankly doesn't want to know, and that same part doesn't want Gerard to know either, because he doesn't want this night to be over, and he doesn't want Gerard to leave, because this right now is all he could ever want: Gerard and the stars.

Gerard doesn’t want to leave the stars or Frank, he just is very well aware of the fact that they do have school tomorrow and he doesn’t want to awaken in the state of a total zombie, especially now his mother has implemented a rule regarding his daily caffeine intake; she thinks ten cups of coffee is far too much – Gerard disagrees.

Frank’s not only trying to just forget about school tomorrow, he’s trying to forget about the whole world in its entirety, and he’s wondering that if he stopped believing in the reality of life then maybe the earth might stop spinning.

Frank thinks the stars are pretty; Gerard's obsession has drilled into his brain over nights like this, but Frank really does think nothing can be prettier than Gerard. Gerard disagrees – the taller boy is certain nothing can be prettier than Frank.

"How late is it?" Gerard seems awfully innocent without a cigarette dangling from his lips. It's the cigarettes that makes him look dangerous, and without them anyone can see that he's just a big dork that really likes space. Frank thinks that’s also exactly why he keeps up this tough demeanour with the cigarettes and leather jackets that are far too big for him.