Find Other Writers

A key in the success of your career as an author, after writing, is finding support from other writers. There are several reasons for this. I'll list the two big ones that come to mind:

1. Other writers know stuff.

Like how to plot a book. Or how to revise a manuscript. Or how to write a novel in a month. Or even how to find an editor or agent. All important things for you to know, and the folks who've been doing it for a while are only happy to help out.

2. We spend a lot of time in our heads, us writers.

Which can be great fun, but can also be isolating. You need to connect with folks who get why every bit of your spare time is going into this crazy story you dreamt up. Folks who agree that you need to make your daily word count. Folks who understand that being in your head is sometimes fun, but sometimes not, and who are there for you, in a kind and supportive way.

There are many places you can find the kind of supportive writing community I'm talking about. I'll list some resources here, but the key is, you keep looking until you find a cozy spot where you're connected to people who really support you. Where critiques are honest but tempered and take into context where you are as a writer. Where you have mentors who can show you how to get where you want to be. And where you have peers who walk the path with you--not in competition but in solidarity.

Okay, here's some ideas where you can find a supportive writing community. Try one, and if it works, stay. If it doesn't, move on.

Wattpad forums. Hey, you're here anyway, why not check 'em out?

The big author associations:

~SCBWI (if you're writing children's and YA books)

~RWA (if you're writing romance)

~SFFWA (Scifi & fantasy)

~HWA (horror)

~MWA & Sisters in Crime (mystery & crime writing)

The great thing about the big author associations is that they usually have local events going on somewhere nearby. Classes on craft. Pitch opportunities. Critique groups. Conferences. For a beginner, these groups offer a great deal of industry knowledge and support.

Yearly writing events, like nanowrimo or F2Konline (there are probably more that I haven't listed here) where people get together and write, both in-person and online, help a lot too. Nanowrimo has a great series of inspirational talks throughout the event to keep you going until the month--or your novel--is done. Another possibility is joining a local writing critique group through meetup.com.

The key with all of these groups is making connections with other writers that you maintain. There's a great deal of support out there for you as a writer. You need to find it and embed yourself. It'll help your writing career more than you can imagine.