One

Let's talk about Maine Mendoza. Everyone calls her "Menggay", that includes me. She is my ball of sunshine. My happy pill. I love her the way I would to a sister, or so I thought. She is ten years younger than me. We are neighbors, so I witnessed almost everything about her and even became a part of most of her important steps in life as she grew up. Did I mention that she don't call me "kuya"?

"Happy Birthday Rj!!", she has the loudest and sweetest voice.

"Kuya. Ikaw Menggay ha? Nasasanay ka na"

"Eh sa ayaw nga kitang tawaging kuya eh!", she pouted as she gave her extra big bear hug.

"I have something for you", she said sweetly handing me a paper bag.

"Ano ito?"

"Gift! Open mo!"

"Meng, hindi naman kasi kailangan"

"Gusto ko! Unang sweldo ko yan as janitress sa company ni Dad"

Her dad was a janitor first before  he became the CEO of his own company, he wants his children to experience the same thing not to burden them but to let them know that nothing comes easily, lahat pinaghihirapan. And when you work hard for something you will know how to value it properly.

"Thank you. Mamaya ko na bubuksan, thanks Menggay", I kissed her cheek.

She blushed shyly.

Hindi ako manhid para hindi maramdaman na may pag tangi sa akin si Menggay. But, she's a kid. Baka fatherly love lang ang nararamdaman niya sa akin. She's my Menggay. My little Menggay, I treasure her. I care for her.

"Menggay? Menggay Iha!!!!", we both turned to where the voice came from. It's from Tita Kat, my aunt that just came from London.

"Titaaaaaa!", she giddily said, she had a big smile plastered on her face. It made me smile too.

"Dalagang dalaga ka na ah? Ang ganda ganda mo na"

"Hindi naman po! Kayo naman"

"Tita, ako ang may birthday dapat ako binibigyan niyo ng compliments", I joked as I hugged her.

"Ang tanda mo na para sa ganyan Ricardo!"

"Tanda? Hindi naman ah. Gwapo nga eh. Mukhang 22 oh?!", Maine said offended. Nakakatawa kasi siya talaga ang na-offend para sa akin. Hindi naman nahalata ni Tita Kat yun. Pero hindi yon maitatago ni Maine sa akin. I knew her so much.

"Ilang taon ka na nga ba Rj?! Bakit hindi ka pa mag-asawa?!"

"Thirty tita..Hehe"

Bakit nga ba? Maybe because I'm focused being a doctor? Maybe. I don't know. Or maybe because I can see that irritated look of Menggay every time they pushed me to settle down? Or maybe, I'm not ready yet. When will I be ready? I don't know really.

I'm sorry. I really suck at narrating a story.