Chapter 19

For early chapters (5 weeks prior to Wattpad release), please visit Radish. You can unlock the newest chapters for 3 coins (roughly $0.3, but it depends on the bundle of coins you buy). Radish sometimes gives away free coins, too, so you can support your fave author for free. Also, please follow me, like and share. You can also support me on patreon.com/kikiemin. 

For the last few days, Orazio had been jumpy. Someone had clearly talked, and he had no time or means to find out who. Not while he was working at the kindergarten.

Orazio left in the principal's office a message, saying he was going to take a two-weeks holiday.

He didn't wait to see or hear the principal's opinion on the matter. He just disappeared, and left the poor old man to deal with his decision.

At first, he wanted to do the same thing with Gabe, but then it occurred to him that Gabe might think he'd abandoned him, and try to find him. That was the last thing he wanted.

He had to do something before Gabe found out who he truly was. Everything was getting worse, and Orazio wasn't used to not having the situation under his control.

Orazio had thought his picture was in the database, but Gabe hadn't arrested him yet, which meant Dante had long had his photo removed, and forgotten to inform him.

"I'm leaving."

"What?"

"Not for good," Orazio hastily added.

"Just for two weeks. I need to take a break."

"From me?" Gabe asked.

"Not from you or anything you've done. Sometimes, people just need a break from their work."

"Where are you going?"

"Maldives." Orazio had bought a plane ticket because he expected Gabe to escort him to the airport. That's how far ahead he thought.

"Will you call me every day?"

"I will. I'll call you as many times as you want." At this point, Orazio was just saying things to please Gabe. And if calling Gabe was what it took for him not to get suspicious, Orazio would call him anytime.

Orazio wouldn't go broke from it, and it was easy to fake a call from a foreign country. He hadn't prepared any plans for the two weeks he was supposed to be away, but that shouldn't take time.

Half an hour every day should be enough to think of something. But souvenirs couldn't be faked, so he had to ship some gifts.

Gabe helped him pack, and before nightfall, Orazio left in a cab. As Orazio had predicted, Gabe wanted to go with him to the airport, but Orazio had told him not to come because it was too late to drag Seby out of bed, and they couldn't leave him alone at home.

As soon as the door was shut, Orazio gave the driver an instruction to take him to the hotel ten minutes away from Gabe's house where he checked in.

The next day, Orazio woke up at five a.m. to go get his new car.

***

Orazio was feeling uneasy when he couldn't find Marchesi. He'd got into his flat, but there was not much. He'd found the file with everything they had on Dante. It was more than Orazio had thought, but not enough to make him concerned. What worried him was that he hadn't been able to find Marchesi.

He knew what that meant; Marchesi was under cover, and since Marchesi and Gabe were working on the same case, Marchesi had either infiltrated the Serraino-DiGiovine's family or he'd been trying to get inside. If Dante knew about it, he'd torture and kill him.