1

|Bad language, Mentions of abuse,  Angst|

It was the last day of the summer holiday and everyone was retiring to their houses. Nikki had already left with her mother and Neil was waiting on his nerd of a dad. A few others had gone too.

Max wasn't waiting. Well. He was but wasn't at the same time. He was sitting at the dinner table, scratching at the surface like hoping it would suddenly disappear from his life.

David was first to notice his disappearance. At first, he thought his parents might have taken him home already however, he figured that wasn't true a few seconds later and went to go look for him. Neil was concentrating on some weird device to notice that his best friend wasn't at his side.

David strolled into the room Max was in, smiling at him, "hey, Max! Why are you in here? Shouldn't you be waiting for your pa-"

"They aren't coming, David." The younger male cut him off, not looking at him. His gaze was still attached to the table but anyone could see his expression. It was pained and it had a tinge of sadness written on it.

"Wha-... what do you mean?" David's normal happy mood dissolved like sugar in some tea. He sat down next to Max, studying the side of his face as he refused to look at David.

"What, are you f*cking deaf? They. Aren't. Coming. They don't care." He said, rolling his eyes. He looked emotionless now. His eyebrows were furrowed like usual accept... this time it looked like it was actually meaning something and not just him being p*ssed off.

David opened his mouth and shut it. How was he supposed to deal with a situation like this? Last time he brought him pizza with Gwen but he couldn't this time. The law required him to stay at the camp until everyone is gone.

"Max, I'm sure they're coming to get you. You're their son." He said, smiling reassuringly. He realised he sounded like he was trying to convince himself. He thought back to other times. They didn't come to that parent meeting, they never called and they only sent him hoodies that they had bought before. When they were allowed to call home he never saw Max go near the phone.

"Just because we're blood related doesn't mean they care. Because they don't. They're gonna leave me at this place like last time-" he cut himself off, sighing and rubbing his temples.

David caught this. Like last time? He's never been to Camp Campbell before... so they left him somewhere else... the lanky adult looked at Max with concern.

  "I-I mean- they-" he stuttered, actually showing his emotions.

And it only took that for David to hug him, "hey, you'll be ok. It'll be ok." He said. He didn't know why he felt the need to look after this boy but he did.

Max didn't push away but he did flinch. He flinched at contract. He never let anyone ever touch him. He slowly relaxed in his arms, breathing out and in heavily.

When David pulled away (before it got awkward) he realised Max was crying. The poor boy was holding his face in his hands, sobbing so quietly you could barely hear it, "I-I-I'm sorry-"

David petted his hair, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. He needed to help him, "no Max. Don't apologise. You haven't done anything wrong." He whispered into his hair while he cried into his chest.

David picked him up, holding him close to his chest and started to walk out, "wait-n-no they can't s-see me l-like this-" he hiccuped but as he finished the sentence, they were already outside. Everyone had gone now accept Neil. He was still waiting.

David continued to stroke his hair yo soothe the sad kid. Gwen approached, paused, stopped in her tracks, "why isn't Max killing you right now?"

  "He's..." He paused. Max had gone completely still when he heard the familiar lady talk, "-sleeping." He lied. It was obvious that Max didn't want anyone seeing him cry.

"He's asleep? But-" the dark skinned girl was interrupted as a car pulled up. Max seemed to hold his breath, "that's t-them-" he murmured into David's shoulder.

David immediately felt angry, it bubbled and went over the top. Max was shaking from fear and holding away sobs.
"Hello. Where is our so- Max?" The man said, obviously the father of the boy. He looked back, tear stains clear on his cheeks, "h-hey dad."

"What are you... get down. In the car. Now." He demanded, tapping his foot on the floor. Max swallowed and attempted to squirm out of his grip. But David held him still.

"Please explain to me why he's terrified of you." He said, completely serious. Max started to shake, "no, Da-David stop. It's fine-"

"Him? Scared? Haha, Max, why would you be scared?" The dad asked, smiling. It seemed rather forced. David caught that something was off immediately.

"I-I'm not- I'm-I'm fine- let me go, David." He said while struggling weakly. Gwen seemed to catch what was going on and crossed her arms, "Mmm. Max, please explain what's wrong."

"What's wrong?" The dad seemed to be getting angry. Max's breathing hitched and got quicker, "I-I'm not scared. I'm fine, really. Now put me the f*ck down, Davi-" he suddenly stopped, his mouth clapped over his mouth and his eyes were wide.

The dad raised an eyebrow, "did you just say 'f*ck'?"
  "N-no!" Max exclaimed.

David held him tighter, he remembered Max's dad's name.  Steve.

  "Steve, I need to ask you a few questions-"

  "YOU JUST SAID F*CK AND LIED TO ME!" Steve shouted, stomping over threateningly to David and his son.

Max screamed a little and hid his face, finally getting out of David's grip which loosened when Steve came near. Neil looked over, "hey, what the f*ck is going on here?"

Gwen gave him a look to shut him up. She stood in front of the quivering Max. The poor kid was lying on the floor in front of David, covering his face, curled up in a ball.

"I'm sorry, Mister, but that is threatening behaviour, we require from law to make sure our kids aren't going to abusive house hold." The dark skinned girl said, crossing her arms protectively.

"An abusive househ- are you accusing me of hurting this little br-boy!"

Max quietened, "he..." the rest of his sentence was unheard by everyone. David bent down, "can you repeat that, Max?"

David listened to whatever Max had whispered and then stood up straight, "get out."

  "Wha-"

  "I SAID GET OUT!" David shouted, looking scarily furious. The dad huffed, "not without my s-"

  "Leave now or suffer the consequences of the police." He said, lifting up his phone to show he was ready to dial 911.

Steve furrowed his eyebrows, not liking the idea of backing down before grunting and getting in his car. The sound of his obnoxiously loud car faded into the distance.

Max attempted to stand up but his legs were shaky and weak, "I-I'm sorry- oh god- no-" his voice was hoarse and voice cracks were almost in every word.

  "Hey it'll be ok." David said, cradling the poor kid in his arms. With that and the sweet mutters in his ear from Gwen and David, Max fell asleep knowing for once in his life he was safe.

{Not edited}
{Also the picture was drawn by me but was a WIP or something. I didn't put that much effort into it aha...}

}