P R O L O G U E

NINE YEARS AGO-

Murdock's Mother and Father died during the Great Purge conducted by Uther Pendragon, the great and glorious king of Camelot.

His sister too, Rose, dead. She hadn't yet turned thirteen.

Murdock and Joel were spared - unintentionally, it would seem. Joel never remembers much of that day – he was too young, at three years old - but Murdock could recall it all too well, being at the impressionable age of seven.

The curt knock-knock of a heavy hand on the wooden door. The surprise that etched his mother's features into one of a warm smile. They never had visitors. They lived in the middle of nowhere; a valley, with steep mountains that acted like guards, protecting them from the worst of the weather, the worst of the war, the worst of the laws and the outlaws.

Not this time, though.

She wiped her hands on her apron; she'd been in the process of kneading dough, her hands floury and the house smelling of fresh bread. A previous batch, cooked and cooling. Another loaf left to rise. That was what she did; make bread, pastries and tarts for their father to sell at the market. He would leave for five days and come back with an empty wagon and full pockets. It was how they made their living. They were happy.

Murdock sat up in his chair, keen interest sparking in his bright eyes as he peered around the open door. He was a spitting image of his father - with fair hair, pale skin and green eyes - whereas Rose and Joel looked like their mother, with very dark features. If the three siblings were standing together, one might guess that only Joel and Rose were related.

An unquestionably regal man was standing just outside the door, adorned in chainmail armour and proudly sporting a red cloak. Murdock recognised it immediately, and the crest too; the crest of Camelot. A nervous thrill of excitement bolted through his bones like lightning as he jumped down from the chair to find Rose and Joel –but Rose was already in the doorway to the backroom, their little brother cradled in her arms.

She didn't look excited or inquisitive. She looked fearful, her eyes trained on her mother.

A previous conversation sprang to Murdock's mind, one that he had overheard just that morning between his mother and sister.

"Father's not back." Rose said. It wasn't a question, it was a statement. She stopped mixing and stared at her mother. "What if something's happened to him?" She blurted out. "He was supposed to be back yesterday."

Their mother shook her head and smiled. "He probably stopped off in a town on his way home to sell the rest of the stock. You know him, he's very smart. Very intuitive." She reassured, and returned to her work, stirring, stirring, stirring.

Rose looked at her skeptically before picking up her bowl and continuing to mix. Only Joel saw his mother frown and bite her lip, silencing the worries that shrouded her husband's absence.

"News of father?" Rose asked quickly, trying to sound bright and positive, but just sounding forced and scared. Their mother turned around.

"No, dear. But here's what I want you to do. Go into the back room and pack a bag. Fill it with as much food as you can." Rose nodded and without a word whisked away, her arms trembling, and not just because of Joel's weight. "Murdock, I want you to go into Father's drawer an-"

She was interrupted by the guard, forcing himself past her and into the kitchen. The room seemed to shrink as he entered, and Murdock immediately found himself cowering in his presence. All his life he had been told that Camelot's knights were the noblest of the all, and yet - when he looked into this man's eyes - he saw nothing but malice, glinting like daggers.

"No!" The knight roared suddenly, and both mother and son stopped dead, their faces the same picture of horror. Tears welled in Murdock's eyes and only then did his mother tear to his side, kneeling beside him and covering him in soft kisses, smoothing down his hair the way she only did when he'd had a bad dream.

"It'll be okay, love." She whispered over and over again and Murdock nodded – couldn't do anything but nod – until the man dragged her away.

She screamed - a sound Murdock could never forget - and then Rose was racing past Murdock and out of the door, slamming it behind her.

More cries. A shout and a clang of metal.

Murdock didn't know what to do. He didn't want to open the door; he didn't want to see that knight ever again. But he wanted his mother so badly it hurt. He put on a brave face and wandered into the backroom to find his little brother; pitiful sobbing erupted from Joel at the sight of Murdock alone.

"I'm sorry." Murdock apologised, though he wasn't sure what for, as he helped his brother to his feet and led him out into the kitchen.

Silence hung in the air like the smell of bread turned sour.

Finally Murdock worked up the courage to open the door but there was no one outside. The man in his cape had gone. Rose and their Mother had gone too.

All that had been left were dusty tracks of a horse and cart and a letter from the knight in the cape.

Magic, Sorcerery, and any other form of Witchcraft derived from the old religion is hereby banned in Camelot, and classed as a crime punishable by death.

The following listed have been found guilty of using magic in Camelot without lawful reason:

- Ruth Everett

- Clay Everett

- Rose Everett

- Murdock Everett

You are to appear before King Uther Pendragon and his council. Any attempt to resist this law or harm the knight's assisting those listed will result in punishment without trial.

Murdock never questioned why his brother's name was the only one not on the list – there were more urgent matters than that. His parents had never practiced magic, and certainly never taught Rose or Murdock for that matter. This was all a mistake. Yet his name on the parchment burned into his mind like hot coal. It was all he could think about. They had taken Mother and Rose – and surely Father too – but not Murdock.

He had no doubt that the knight return for him, his red cape billowing out behind him like blood in his wake.

With a heavy heart he found the satchel Rose had packed for them – the last thing she had ever done for them – and left the house with Joel in hand, not looking back once.