Chapter Five

The room was full of people; nations and humans alike.

I stood and peered at everyone from behind the heavy curtain that separated them from the kitchen. I watched all my "brothers" and "sisters" walk around, chatting and eating while each wearing their own traditional clothing.

"Stop being such a coward."

I jumped, turning to see North standing right behind me.
"Are you going in or not?" He sounded annoyed, as usual. But he was smiling this time.

I looked at his hanbok, which was like mine, only blue and greyish silver.
It fit him perfectly.
His hair was braided simply, and went down his back with a golden ring securing it at the end.
We had both agreed to not adorn any traditional headwear, and neither of us seemed unhappy about it.

I smiled back.

"I'll go in if you do."

"Fine."

We both entered, side by side.

* • * • * • * • * • * • * • * • *

We had gone our separate ways through the crowd, looking for familiar faces. It turned out that there weren't only Asian countries attending. I slowly drifted towards one of the draped walls, hoping to hide behind one of the drapes if I got any more anxious.
But then I heard a loud and familiar voice behind me and turned.

"Korea! It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, sir." I refrained from bowing as he walked up to me.
I smiled as the friendly American and I shook hands, and ignored the shivers it sent up my spine. Physical contact.

"Oh! I didn't know you had a sister!"
I followed his gaze to the buffet table, where I saw North laughing softly at something China had said.

"That...that's my brother,sir..."
"Brother? Ohhh! Sorry, it's just, he kind of looks like a girl..."
"I think it's the braid."
"And his face."
"What about it?"
"Well, it makes him look younger and cuter. It makes him...pretty." America laughed.
"Just like you."

It took me a few seconds to register what he had said. I instantly blushed.
These Westerners! I cannot understand them. They don't mean what they say, and they don't say what they mean. Yet, other times they DO mean what they say, and say what they mean. And they are always making jokes that are not funny, or making serious statements that are downright hilarious. I do not understand them.
They are so confusing!

I had always assumed that I appeared just as male as Japan or Thailand.
But this wasn't the first time someone had considered me feminine.
I tried to shake it off, but North's words were still in my head.
"You look like a girl."

"Not to sound rude or anything, but why are you wearing a dress?"
America asked, observing my hanbok.
I looked up at him and smiled.
"It's not a dress, sir. It's my traditional clothing."
"Oh?"
"Yes."
"It's very..." America frowned, clearly trying to think of the right word.

Say pretty. I dare you, say pretty.

"...fitting." America concluded, smiling.

I smiled back, glancing at his expensive-looking suit and tie. His short hair was combed back, out of his face, and his glasses glinted in the dim light. His shoes were black leather, and looked really shiny.
So this is how you dress formally on that side of the world?
Maybe Japan was right. Maybe he really did help modernise me.

"Sir, would you like something to eat?" I asked, knowing that the American always seemed to be hungry. He glanced back at the buffet table, but to my surprise, shook his head.

"I didn't actually come for the food..." he said, giving a small smile.

"Oh really? What did you come for?" I asked, frowning slightly.

He turned back to me, still smiling. "I came...to see you, of course. It's been so long!" Something was off, he said that last part too quickly. But I just smiled.

"Indeed."

America then took my hand, and I instantly tensed up.
"Want to dance?"
"Yes sir." I said shakily.

He led me to the centre of the room and placed his free hand on my hip. Unsure of what to do, I looked up at America, frowning.
He gave a small laugh. "My shoulder, Korea."

I did as he said, and placed my free hand beside his neck.

We weren't really following any specific steps, or moving at the same time.
We constantly stood on each other's feet and I found myself subconsciously trying to shift my hip out from under his hand.

But we laughed, and it was enjoyable all the same. I had never danced in this way before, so it was an interesting experience in that sense as well.

"Do you dance like this often?" I asked, careful not to grip his shoulder too tightly.

"I guess. But usually, it's a boy and a girl who dance together."

"Oh."

America laughed.
"Sorry, it's just...there aren't a lot of girls here tonight, huh?"

I glanced around the room and found that I couldn't disagree with him.

I suddenly noticed Russia over America's shoulder, and frowned.
He had originally been standing in the corner of the room with Belarus and Ukraine, but had somehow managed to get them preoccupied at the buffet table. He now walked over to China and North, and joined their conversation. North looked up at him and smiled brightly, a smile he had only ever given me and China.
America noticed as well, and we both watched them for a few seconds before America turned back to me.

"Korea, let's go outside."

I blinked.

"What?"
"Let's go outside. Now." He glanced back at Russia and added, "Your brother, too."

He then walked past me, and before I could follow, he was gone. Frowning, I walked cautiously over to North. China and Russia instantly stopped talking when they saw me. North noticed their sudden silence, and turned around.
Seeing me, he gave a small smile, but then frowned.

"Is something wrong, hyeong?" he asked, sounding concerned.

"No." I tried to focus on North and ignore China and Russia, which was difficult. "Um, come outside with me, please. America wants to talk about something."

I'm not sure whose eyes narrowed the quickest; North's, China's or Russia's.
They all shared a quick glance, then North looked me straight in the eye.

"No thank you, hyeong. I'm quite happy here."

His voice was lower than usual, and his eyes were dark.

Without realising it, I took a step back. It was either his eyes, or the fact that China had placed a hand on his shoulder, but I was feeling strangely....intimidated.

"R-right. Well, um...ok then. I'll just go..."

"There's no need for you to leave." North added quickly, smiling. "You can join us, if you'd like."

I shook my head, a little harder than I had intended to. I bowed quickly, and walked away.
Glancing over my shoulder, I saw that all three of them were staring after me.