Chapter 2 - Happy-go-lucky

Keith didn't mind skipping class, however, he wasn't too keen on the idea of aimlessly wandering around the crowded streets with a boy who he met only minutes ago. It all seemed so needlessly irrational. Keith attempted to pull away from Lance but the boy's grip remained firm. Unable to free himself Keith sighed as he was pulled cheerfully along by the carefree teen boy.

-----------------------

Keith stood in awe as he registered his surroundings. Lance had brought him to a relatively large indoors space littered with rows of retro looking coin-op machines each housing different games old and new, a gaming arcade. He was guided through a sea of people until finally coming to a halt as the two encountered a game that caught the interest of his companion.
"This one! Let's try this one!" Lance eagerly insisted, directing his raven haired buddy towards a rather large console. Keith examined the machine before him, taking in a rather modern-looking fighter plane simulator with steering controls to more accurately replicate the pilot experience even just the slightest bit.

Keith was slightly taken aback, the game actually fell within his interests, he'd never have expected the boy who seemed worlds apart from himself to actually share any of his interests.
"Let's have a wager," the Cuban boy suggested, a mischievous expression forming over his prior excitement, "Highest score wins. Winner gets free ice cream and loser pays for that ice cream ."
Keith contemplated the wager, it was only a small price and he did in fact want to test this game, not to mention, Lance had tugged at his competitive spirit. "You're on."

Unsurprisingly Keith beat Lance, no doubt Lance played well, in fact he came quite close to winning, however, Keith's natural aptitude simply outweighed Lance's unpolished abilities. Nevertheless the tanned boy refused to accept defeat demanding constant rematches, match after match. They'd changed games a few times but Lance never won.
"I can't believe you Keith! How are you so good at this!" Lance pouted.
Keith laughed. He couldn't help but laugh at the sour expressions his companion kept making each time he lost, Keith was enjoying himself, for the first time in a long time he was enjoying himself. It had shocked him at first when he'd initially realised that he was actually having fun but he decided to simply let it be, after all, there weren't many who could bring his guard down to the point that he could actually feel at ease when he was with them, in fact, until now there was only one, his older adoptive brother Shiro, whom of which he could now only see every so often since his brother had joined the air force.
"Stupid mullet" Lance muttered, crossing his arms and averting his gaze to the floor.
"Hey!" Keith protested pulling Lance playfully into a head lock, no longer even concerned with his own actions. Lance broke out into child-like laughter as he attempted to free himself of Keith's arms, Keith joined him, laughing helplessly as he ruffled the other boy's chocolate brown hair with his free arm.
When Lance finally broke free and the two of them calmed down a bit Lance once again grabbed Keith's arm, tugging him out of the arcade.
"C'mon, let's go get that ice cream."

This time Keith willingly followed his lead as they navigated through the streets down to a nearby Park. As the two approached the park square Keith could make out the soft singing of a violin in the distance, it played a familiar upbeat tune. Lance also heard the violin, perking up and picking up his pace he almost ran towards the park square, dragging Keith along behind him. Upon reaching the square he turned and grasped the shorter boy's hands in his own, pulling him into a light-hearted, un-choreographed dance to the violin's song.
Keith vaguely recognised the song as 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', however the violinist was clearly playing their own rendition of the classic song, this version being more skilled and upbeat than the original.

As the song ended Lance tossed a few coins into the open violin case placed before the violinist then ran over to a nearby ice cream vendor returning with a cone in each hand, berry and bubble-gum.
"You didn't even ask what flavour I wanted," Keith complained taking the berry.
"Yeah... I forgot," Lance momentarily averted his eyes before beaming back, "So I got the two best flavours!"
"In your opinion"
"My opinion is absolute truth, Keithy-boi"
Keith abruptly halts, turning to Lance and raising an eyebrow, "Seriously? Keithy-boi?"
Lance cracks up into hysterical laughter, his sporadic movement causing his ice cream scoop to fall from its cone, onto the shorter boy in front of him. The Cuban boy's laughter ceases as the two stare at the newly formed ice cream splatter on Keith's jacket. Their gazes slowly raise to meet the other's, in an instant Lance is bolting through the park Keith close on his tail.

This frantic chase lasts about half a minute before Lance is hit with a sudden spurt of dizziness and missteps, collapsing to the ground. Keith immediately rushes to the fallen boy's side worry apparent in his expression.
"Hey, you okay? Did you trip?"
The tanned boy slowly began pushing himself up replying with, "Yeah, I'm fine" but as his weight shifted onto his right foot he was struck with a stinging pain, "Ouch!" falling back to the ground he began examining his right foot.
"I think I twisted my ankle."
Keith sighed, turning his back to the Cuban boy he crouched down in front of him.
"C'mon, climb on, I'm taking you to the hospital."