Chapter 11 - April

"Don't you have school?" the tanned teen asked, gazing curiously at the pale boy keeping him company.
"They probably don't even want me there anyway," Keith shrugged, "I mean, if it weren't for my brother I would've been expelled years ago"
"Oh, you have a brother? What's he like?"
"Well... He's actually my adoptive brother, that is, his mother adopted me... I was an orphan," he paused momentarily to observe Lance's reaction, the tanned boy was listening intently, "To me though, they were the only family I've ever known. Though... It's only Shiro and me now... Shiro's the best brother I could ever ask for, a great leader and he's a pilot in the air force!"
"Woah! Seriously? That's like!.. My dream..." Lance began excitedly but finished with a sad look in his eyes.

Those words tugged on Keith's heart, he wanted to do everything he could to make the boy happy in the little time they had left.
"Let's go on a day trip!" the Asian boy proposed.
"What?"
"The air force has a demonstration every month, let's go!" Keith began explaining, "I can ask Shiro when it is and we can tell Allura and the doctor and-"
"Yes! Yes, yes, yes! I'd love to get out of here!"
"Okay then! We're doing this!"

-----------------------

"That was amazing! And you're saying your brother was up there?! You're brother is amazing!" Lance was unable to contain his excitement over the demonstration they'd just witnessed. Keith chuckled, walking beside his friend, he found the taller teen's childlike elation endearing.
"I'm glad you think so highly of me," a smooth adult male voice sounded from behind the two.
"Shiro!" the raven haired teen turned to face his brother, a tall, well built, man in his 20s with an undershave, black, like Keith's, except a tuft of white hair at the front.
"So you finally came to watch one of our demonstrations... How's school?" the tall man quipped, finishing with a question.
"Right... School... This is Lance!" the pale teen responded, evading his older brother's question.
"So this is Lance," Shiro raised an eyebrow, a faint smirk forming under his friendly smile.
"Hi, you must be Shiro. Keith told me about you!" Lance introduced himself, extending a hand towards the elder male, offering a handshake.
"As he has of you," Shiro commented, accepting the tanned boy's handshake.
"Better have only been compliments," Lance joked whilst Keith stood silently, his complexion taking on a slight shade of red. Feeling a small lump rising in his throat, however, he excused himself. Rushing to the bathroom he left the two to their conversation as he began coughing up the usual red, pink, and gold flower petals.

-----------------------

"Today was fun... Thank you... Keith."
The pale teen took one last glance at the tanned boy's smile before closing the door of Allura's car, waving goodbye as it drove away. With how much time he tried to spend with Lance it was quite difficult hiding his own ailment from the other boy but he was determined to spend all possible hours of the day with the boy regardless and he refuses to cause Lance any unnecessary concern. So he endured. Holding back coughing fits, however, meant each fit he suppressed would return all the more violent. Keith's once bland apartment was now vibrant with golden, pink, and red flower petals scattered all over.

-----------------------

"Keith! You haven't met Coran yet have you?" the chocolate haired boy beamed at his raven haired friend. Keith arrived at the hospital at the usual time to visit Lance. Today, however, there was the addition of a familiar orange haired visitor.
"Not officially," the orange haired man answered for him, then turning to the pale teen the tall man introduced himself, "Nice to meet you, I'm Coran. You can think of me as Lance's uncle" extending a hand as he spoke.
The raven haired teen accepted the handshake, "Keith."

"Well I've gotta head back to the bakery, Bandor called in sick this morning so Allura will need my help," Coran stated, bidding Lance farewell before walking out the room.
Following the absence of the older man Lance began explaining, "Coran is actually Allura's God father and legal guardian after she lost her parents... Since Allura practically raised me he was also there whenever he wasn't taking care of her parents' bakery. Allura and I both call him our uncle even though we aren't blood related."
"I see... Wait, Allura's parents' bakery?"
"Yeah, it's the one you got those cream puffs from. Allura's pastries are the best! Hunk agrees so it's definitely true!"
"Wait seriously?! You're joking right?! I mean, there's no way I just coincidentally got you cream puffs from Allura's bakery!"
"And yet you did, that's why I said we must be soul mates!"
The pale boy flushed at that last comment. "Right, we're definitely destined for each other," he chuckled.
This time it was Lance's turn to blush, suddenly bashful as he was caught off guard by the shorter boy reciprocating his joke.
"W-wha-I... Since when were you capable of catching on... to jokes..." the tanned boy muttered red-faced.
"Apparently since I met you."
At this remark the flustered boy's blush deepened, admittedly, the red did make his blue eyes pop. In that moment Keith felt blessed, unable to suppress his grin.