Chapter 5 Playing with Tarot Cards

The fortune teller woman led Elizabeth to the back room. This room was full of mysterious fortune teller things and Elizabeth couldn’t figure out, how she knew, the lady was a fortune teller. “Step over here and sit down.” She said pointing the way for Elizabeth. Elizabeth just followed her hand gesture, and pulled the chair out to sit down. Elizabeth was truly amazed; she had never seen, or had a tarot card reading.

              “Relax more, Elizabeth, so I can get a good reading.” She said calmly.

              Elizabeth replied, “Wait, how do you know my name?”

              The woman just stared at her. She had these creepy eyes and wasn’t the kind of person that Elizabeth would want to speak to. The lady replied, “Let’s just say, I know everybody.” This was really freaky to Elizabeth and she was scared now. What had she gotten herself into? She kept telling herself to walk away, but she couldn’t. This was one of those cases when you’re scared, but you can’t walk away until you know what’s happening. The woman brought her a cup and in that cup was some kind of liquid. Elizabeth sniffed it and looked up at the woman. “It’s a type of herbal tea; it will help me with your tarot card reading.” It was like she had read Elizabeth’s mind.

              “Are you some kind of witch?” Elizabeth asked.

              “Ugggg, we don’t refer to ourselves as witches, especially not the green ones you see in movies.” The woman said kind of offended.   

              “Well than what are you exactly?” Elizabeth questioned the lady.

              “I’m a magical gal, part of an organization, and that’s about as much detail as I will give you. Now onto business let’s get this reading done and then you can shop.” The woman said with a fast paste to her walk.

              “What organization?” Elizabeth asked.

              “Not an organization I want to get into explaining right now.” She said wanting off of the topic. Elizabeth was then left with a topic to think about. What was this secret organization? Who was even apart of this organization?

              “You know I won’t leave without an answer. I’ll stay here until I know what you are.” Elizabeth said determined.

              “Knock yourself out pretty girl, but where will you stay when shop closes for the night?” The lady said coldly.

              “I’ll sleep outside, with my horse, Mystic.” Elizabeth said cleverly. She wanted every bit of information and would stay here for the rest of her life if she had to. Even though she had just met this lady, there was something important about her. “Well, you can get on with my reading now, I won’t ask any more questions until the end.” Elizabeth said with a big smirk on her face.

              “All right then. Let’s get on with this.” The woman said with relief that she wouldn’t be interrogated for a while. “First, drink the herbal tea in your hands, then like I said before, you can get a better reading.” The woman said.

              “What kind of tea is this?” Elizabeth asked.

              “Regular hot, black tea,” The lady paused, “It’s the best kind, for tarot card readings. Now drink up, and this can be done in no time at all.” She responded. Elizabeth just nodded her head and drank it up. It was nice and very aromatic; it could make the whole room smell like tea. It was a very magical kind of tea, and she had never tasted something as tasty as this. She licked her lips to make sure there was no tea left. “Well, you drank that all up, didn’t you?” She said amazed. Nobody had ever drank her tea up so fast. All of the people that came for readings usually gagged on her tea, but Elizabeth actually enjoyed it. This was a bit fishy to the lady, but she continued anyway. “Now hand me your cup, I want to see the bottom of it.” She said.

              Elizabeth politely handed over the cup, and was confused why the lady wanted the cup. The woman looked over at her face and knew the answer to her question. She had an undiscovered talent of reading minds. Only the people in her organization knew of this talent. She would make sure nobody, like Elizabeth, would find out. A human being could never know, or else it could mess the world up, and potentially lead to people trying to kill her kind. “I need the cup because it tells the cards your future, and the cards tell me, so I can tell you.” She said and then continued, “The process can be a little tricky to comprehend sometimes.” She commented smiling.

              “There’s something about you, that I like, I just can’t put a finger on it.” Elizabeth said.

              “Is it my determination to not tell you who I am, while you’re determined to find out?” The lady said. They both chuckled after that, but it wasn’t why Elizabeth liked her. She just felt like she knew this lady, and like she was family. She probably wasn’t family though, because her only grandmother had passed away years ago. She did remind her of her grandmother though. Her grandmother was always into fortune telling, and her customer’s fortune would always come true. Was her grandmother some kind of magical person too, who knew if she was, she was dead? “The tarot cards are ready, are you ready to see what the future holds?” She asked like this was a life decision, and it was. Elizabeth would soon know her fate, which could be good and bad.