Chapter 26: You Should Have Seen Your Face

Emma
We're going back home in two days. Baah.

We were all in the living room watching TV when my phone rang. It was my mom.

Excusing myself, I went to my room to answer. "Hi, mom."

"Honey, how are you? I'm guessing you're coming home soon?" She asked.

"Yes. How's grandma?" I asked and she snorted.

"You think I'll call you again with her around? I don't think so."

I chuckled at that. "So, why did you call? Or do you just miss my sweet voice?" I tease.

"I just called to check on my loving daughter" she said and I snorted.

"Yeah right? What is it?" I roll my eyes.

"I called to tell you I'm going on a date tonight. With your dad" she said quickly.

"Hold on a minute. "What dad?" I ask not believing.

"Uh.. your dad?" She says unsurely.

"What the hell mom? Dad! Really?! You still love him after everything?!!!" I yell.

"You will not yell at me young lady. I do not need your permission and I definitely do not need you yelling at me" she said sharply and hung up.

I stayed in my room a bit longer, yelling into my pillow and pulling my hair.

When I was calm, I stood up and went back to the living room.

Jace was looking at me weirdly. "What is it?" I ask.

He points to his hair and my hands immediately fly to my hair to straighten it.

I mouth a thanks and continue watching TV. We were watching a random channel and I wasn't really focusing. My mind was on my mom.

"I'm hungry" Logan yawned and we all groaned.

"Dude. Are you on a drug? You're hungry every five seconds" Jace groaned.

We all went to the kitchen to make lunch. "Let's make fried rice. I learnt a recipe on Food Network." I suggested. Do you have edamame?"

"What the hell is edamame?" Jace asks and I shrug. I think it's a type of pea.

We brought out all the ingredients and set them on the counter.

"Jace, please tell me you know how to cook rice" Mia joked.

He chuckled nervously. "Well, the thing is.."

Mia's mouth dropped and I was just laughing.

"I'm just kidding" he laughed and Mia sighed in relief.

When we finished the cooking the rice, we just ate on the kitchen counter.

"This is delicious. I have to learn this" Logan said, his mouth full of rice.

"I learnt the recipe from The Pioneer Woman on Food Network" I said.

After lunch, I went to my room to just escape and think.

I knew my mom still loved my dad but I didn't think she'll give him a second chance.

I heard a knock and Jace asking to come in.

Sitting up, I grab my phone, pretending to be doing something because I know if he sees me here doing nothing he'll know I'm thinking and will want to know what about and I'll end up telling him.

He walks in and towards me, sitting beside me. "I know you're just scrolling through your pictures, Emma" he sighs.

I ignore him and keep scrolling through. I come to a picture of Charlie and I get an idea.