High Life

A/N Hey! Maddie again. God, I'm writing too much. I need to let Toot's update something XD Anyway, this one starts sad but has a happy ending! It turned from miserable one am writing into midday writing. Two very different emotional states and writing styles. So, warning for major conflictions but anyway, here it is!

Viktor had lived in the spotlight since he was eight-years-old. He had never left it. The dull shine of the light had stopped hurting his eyes after a few years. He became numb to it all. The scraping of the ice became just another noise and not a comfort. His joy became mundane. His sadness became his normal.

He had taken the burden alone as most did. He had people to support him. He didn't let them. He wished them away like people wished upon stars, with hope in his heart but the knowledge, deep down, that his wish would never come true. Maybe he was just a pessimist.

Yes, actually, he was definitely a pessimist.

His goofy smiles and winks were nothing to deter the others from knowing that. Viktor was an actor. He tricked people on land and ice the same. He didn't let people see through the endless gaps in his facade. He pretended they weren't there. It had come so far that others began to doubt they were there at all too.

'Give it up, Viktor. Stop this.' Yuuri's words hadn't come as a surprise. He wished they had. He'd been longing for a surprise. Yuuri had been a surprise. The after-effects had lasted as long as a year. Viktor was surprised it had even lasted that long. But, now, a year later, he found himself bored again. Not with Yuuri. No. He loved Yuuri.

Right?

Right.

He thought.

He wasn't sure.

Was he supposed to feel like that?

'Stop what?' He beamed up at Yuuri from his place on the sofa, running his thin fingers through the thick fur of Makkachin's. He looked happy, he prided himself on his ability to do so.

'Viktor, you know what I mean. Stop this all. It's okay.' Viktor mustered it within himself to look confused at Yuuri's words.

'I don't understand, Yuuri.' Viktor smiled again and ignored Yuuri's crestfallen face. They had had this conversation enough times for Viktor to start believing that it didn't have any effect anymore.

It seemed he was wrong.

'I'm done.' Did Viktor just feel his heart crack?

'What?' He asked, looking up from Makkachin's brown fur.

'I'm done. With this. I'm leaving.' Yuuri's face was stern, serious.

'No you're not.' Viktor denied, standing up.

'I am, Viktor!' Yuuri shouted. Yuuri never shouted. 'You're not happy with me! I can see that! Stop pretending! Stop pretending everything's alright. I love you, Viktor but I can't watch this. I thought...I thought I had saved you...' His voice trailed off, Viktor could hardly hear him. They locked eyes and Viktor watched as the beads of water trailed down Yuuri's cheeks.

'Take it or leave it, Viktor. Stay in the limelight and dwindle away or give it up and, at least, try to be happy. Nothing more, nothing less. All you have to do is try. For me.' Yuuri scraped the ice-cold tears from his cheeks. Viktor just stared.

Yuuri left.

Viktor was a pessimist.

Viktor knew he was a pessimist.

He had believed this would go wrong from the start. He ran to Yuuri, chased him because he craved the rush. He loved the rush. They both loved the rush. That's why they fell in love. Then, the rush had ended.