five 〰 yes. friends.

It had been many days since Richie last came in contact with Eddie. During study hall, his gaze would sometimes wander aimlessly around the room out of boredom and linger on Eddie, but that was about the most communication that went on between them.

The sudden disappearance and absence left Eddie confused, but with a sense of pride as well. He was right; they felt apologetic for one day never again. He felt like he did himself good for not accepting to be a part of their party.

***

It was now the first week of October, and the aesthetically pleasing fall leaves started to leave their trees and fall to the ground. It also just so happened to be the week that Henry Bowers tortured Eddie more than normal.

You see, for the first month of school,  teachers went easy on the students. Light homework, chill classes, easy lessons. It was nice.

Then, October rolls around, and it's like all of the teachers, regardless of gender,
got their period all at once. Suddenly, homework is given in stacks, lessons are incredibly difficult, and the teachers stress about every single little thing you do wrong.

More homework meant more work for Eddie to do, and if he slipped up, it meant more punches for him to take.

If you hadn't guessed it, today, was one of those days where he slipped up and  was taking the punches.

One of Henry's minions held the short boy up as Henry punched into a groaning Eddie's stomach. The students gathered around, everyone too afraid to do anything for fear that they'd end up in Eddie's spot.

"You little fag, how dare you fucking forget to do my English project? Huh?" Henry signaled for his minion to drop him and Eddie fell to the ground, curling into a fetal position. Henry kicked his side as Eddie screamed out in pain.

"P-P-Ple-Pleas-se stop-p." Eddie whimpered, clutching at his arm, which was now probably broken.

"What was that, queer?"

"Henry, over here!" Before Eddie could utter another syllable, Richie interjected.

All heads turned to him. Even Eddie's who mustered up all his energy to turn to the side.

***

Richie was walking in the hallway with Stan and Caleb to study hall, when they realized they were too early, and had at least seven minutes before study hall began. The trio were waiting by the doorway, when they heard a lot of noise coming in front of them. It almost sounded like someone was... screaming.

They went to check out what the commotion was about, and stumbled upon a crowd watching Henry Bowers beat up Eddie Kaspbrak. Richie's eyes widened as he saw the state the boy was in. There were bruises and dry blood everywhere, as well as a few blood stains that were fresh.

Richie felt an unknown ache in his heart and he knew he couldn't just take stand there while Eddie took hits. He sent a nod to Stan and the duo walked forward towards Henry, leaving Caleb to hold their books.

They might as well have been walking into the mouth of an open volcano.

"Henry!" Richie shouted.

All heads turned to him.

***

"Tozier!" Henry shouted back, delighted. "Wanna help me beat the shit out of this fag? A little fag who doesn't know his responsibilities?"

"Why, of course, Bowers." Eddie used all his strength and looked up for just a second, not believing his eyes. But indeed, Richie was there, walking towards Eddie's slumping body. "Hold my leather," he said, throwing his jacket to Stan. He lowered his face down to Eddie's level and smirked. "Pull him up and hold him straight." He told Henry's minion.

Belch grabbed him under his arms and jerked him up, not caring for the groans that came from Eddie. The ache Richie felt was stronger now, and this unknown feeling was softening him.

He noticed this and gathered up his composure before swinging for Eddie, his fist moving forward in full force. Nobody could believe this was happening. One day, Richie asks for forgiveness and friendship, and the next day he's beating you up. That's the sole definition of bipolar.

Only, at the last second, Richie changed direction. Instead of hitting Eddie like everyone thought he would, He turned around and hit Henry, square in the face.

Blood oozed out of Henry's nose as he went spiraling back, tripping over a rock and falling on his back. Henry's minions were ready to attack, but he held up a hand, telling them to stop.

"Don't ever come near my Eddie Spaghetti ever again, do you understand?" Richie's tone was stern, and Henry Bowers, the most emotionless man on earth, for scared shitless. He nodded vigorously.

"Stan, Caleb, lift him up." Caleb dropped their books and ran to where Richie was. The two did as he ordered. Eddie was just barely conscious now, but he could still hear everything going on, and he wasn't believing it. Richie walked towards him and leaned in close to his ear.

"See what happened? Just now. I did that for you, Eddie. Listen, I might've been a dick to you in the past, but I want us to start fresh and be friends. I've changed, I promise. If I haven't changed enough, I'll change more. But only if you give me a chance. Friends?" Eddie pondered for a minute. His head was pounding and he couldn't ponder too greatly, but he decided this was the best option.

Also, after witnessing the scene, he was partly terrified of what Richie would do to him if he didn't agree.

"Y-Yes. Frie-Friends." He groaned at the pain that was radiating throughout his body and he forced his eyes to stay open. They met Richie's. He didn't believe himself, even after this happened, but he saw a sense of caring in Richie's eyes.

His eyes closed then, and without Richie needing to tell them, Stan and Caleb scurried away to take him to the nurse. Just as Eddie left, the principal walked by and saw the scene, open mouthed.

"You two," she shouted. "In my office. Right now."

Oh how wonderful.

***
double update because i'm awesome like that

this was also unedited lol

(update: edited september 10, 2017)

also, the playlist for this ff is up now so check that out

hope you liked this chapter... what did you think of richie standing up for eddie? them finally being friends?

also, if you're into stranger things, i was thinking of making a gaten x reader fanfic (because i was scrolling through the searches and there weren't that many). should i do it?

hope you have a lovely day/night wherever you are and ily ❤️

(also this chapter is dedicated to ReddiexxTrash aka my mother because she is wonderful and you all should go follow her and check her out)

stay positiveeeee :)

xx Nikki