Part 04: How To Write A Good Description?

Hello Readers,

Let's face it, we all had to stop at this place. We all went through this stage. And we all (most people) aren't satisfied when it comes to creating descriptions for our books.

Believe me, the second hardest step in the whole guide, for me, is this part specifically, since scientifically 89% of the authors around the world truthfully mentioned their lacks of creating such great descriptions.

I'll be truthful with you, no one ever taught me how to properly write a good description, so I had to go through the step by myself three years ago. Therefore, I still lack experience, myself, on how to write great descriptions for books.

But through the process, I actually learned some tricks and some techniques so your description would be at least Good.

First, here it is, straight forward in your faces; don't write at the end of your description:

"What will happen to her? Will she stay focused on only her studies? Or will she follow the rules of the playboy and get herself through steps that no one ever did?

Find out as you follow (example) Jessica through her big adventure in (example) Me, Myself and I"

That.... Won't work at all. That ending for a description ruins the whole thrill. You wouldn't be reading the book if she actually focused only on her studies. And it is obvious people used that phrase in their descriptions: That's the classic cheesy easy way to create a description anyway.

So why don't you try stepping away as much possible from that phrase?

Here's an example: (Insane's description, by me)

"Christine Annabelle Rosaline is your twenty-one years old woman from Loisir, a small town in the suburbs of Wildepond. She's got straight medium blush pink hair and emerald green eyes. She had everything she wished for from when she was little but a very saddening past that still keeps hunting her in her nightmares. Yet, she's still a famous wrestler and known for her kind but strong smile.

But having all of your best friends being nearly killed, other people being on death situations, a lot of criminal cases, a challenging and stubborn competitor & a psycho killer, on the loose, who is chasing you everywhere at the same time?

Well, that's how she became more insane by every moment...."

As you can see, we made questions in here but it is not a " what happens....?" question, it's more free-like. In addition, using the title in the description is a classic but still a good way to use this technique; just know when and where to use it.

Secondly, a description isn't a summary of the story; There is a big difference. Summaries are conclusions of the story in small sentences, descriptions are four or less paragraphs that describe the least possible about the story and still make it thrilling to read. So don't just go and summarise the whole story in a paragraph of two to six sentences.

Third, you can take a scene that you find appealing to the title, or sometimes even out of the reach of the title, and add it before or after the actual description so it becomes more thrilling. A quote in the place of a scene works too if you feel like it.

Fourth, please don't write in your description:

- "What the title says."

- "Basically the guy falls in love with the girl." (example)

- "I suck at summaries" (actually, never mention that until your review about your book, at the end of your story, if you want.)

- "Just read to find out!" "Just read it." "Read it, vote and comment or I will murder your whole family" or even "Please read, like and comment." (I'm a challenging person, if you tell me that I will definitely not do so, even if you are my best friend.)

- "Hope you enjoy it. ;D" (You're a classic author or just a very cheerful author, don't use emojis. No one will take your book seriously. Meaning that people will see your story as something written by a non-skilled beginner. You need to show them that you're a professional author and that your story is worth wasting time on reading it.)

(Don't ask me later on why my old stories have those because my old stories were my mistakes and I learned from them.)

Fifth, try to take descriptions seriously and you'll be done.

After all this, and even thought it is a hard step, by the end of the day you'll get some form of a description in your head.

Thank you for reading and I hope I helped you through your descriptions.

{The Black Rose}