-2- Change of Plans

Your feet jump and dodge as you race through the woods; trees barley missing your face as you duck past them. You have ran through this forest so many times so this was nothing new. The graveyard, that hill--a beautiful thing to run for.

With a loud clatter you catch yourself on the fence then quickly hop it, not wanting to waste time finding the gate. The tall grass flattens beneath your feet, almost like its making way for your excitement. A short truck up the hill and, finally, you're there--the sun sinking into the medium town you call home. Clouds splattered with reds, oranges, pinks and various shades of blue; as the sky slowly darkens.

You collapse to your knees, then lean back and deeply inhale. "This is all I want," you exclaim happily, watching the sky slowly find the night again. Stars begin to gleam through the blues as the sun slips into the small lake across town.

The sweet air fills your lungs as you close your eyes. You made sure that you did everything today when you heard about the carnival, so now, you're positive you can make it--a plus; you can now stay here for as long as you please. "Tomorrow will be so fun!" you exhale, delighted.

Time flutters by as you bask in the sweet surroundings that fill your senses.

"Ah, look what the night brought back," a way too familiar voice chimes in, cutting off your day dream. You sit up and scan the darkness for any silhouettes that maybe lurking--nothing to be seen. "You did say you would come back to chat so I guess I can't say I'm surprised," the voice chimes in.

You feel your whole body stiffen as the words slid from his hidden lips. "How could I have forgotten?" you whisper, staring wide eyed into the darkness.

"Aw, looks like someone forgot about me," he playfully whines.

"Well I-I had a busy day," you defend.

"No worries. I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away from such a sweet spot," he laughs. "Would you like some candy?"

"O-oh. Well, I think I will have to decline. You see, I have had a lot sweets today," you lie, trying not to offend him.

He replies to your no, with a laugh that slowly grows into a cackle, "Smart cookie we have here. Taking candy from people you have just met, isn't the best thing for your health," followed by more laughing.

"Well, sorry to leave so soon but I have plans tomorrow and have to get some sleep. Bye," you say, then quickly stand to make your leave.

"See you later then, Cookie," he says; his laughter filled voice accompanying you to the gate.

Once past the gate, you take off to a full sprint, zipping through the woods, racing to your apartment. You slam the door behind you then lean up against it with a sigh bursting through your lips.

"My god!" you exclaim pushing off of the door, then hooking your keys on the key hook.

A flop on the couch gets another loud burst of air from you. You then pull out your phone and begin to search for the previously mentioned carnival. There is defiantly one coming to town; though it doesn't seem as well-known as your friend previously indicated.

Although; they are going to be surprisingly close to your apartment. In fact, its closer than you thought. It's gonna be right on the other side of the woods--only a few feet away from the cemetery.

You stand, then stretch. A small yawn escapes through your lips. 'Snack then I will write,' you think moseying over to the kitchen. A bit of shuffling and you come up with a few cookies and an orange. You smile, triumphant in your snack, then head off to your room, where your computer awaits. You slip into P.J's, then pull the chair out and settle in, opening up a saved document.

You glance at the cookies and pause.

A chill runs down your spine.

The simple word from earlier ringing in your ears.

'Cookie.'

Cracking your fingers, you then scurry off to work. As the words blaze out of you, quickly forming sentences into paragraphs. Time progresses you by as your fingers travel across the key board.

'12:48.'

A sigh whistles its way through your lips as you lean back in your chair.

"I should sleep," you whine, not wanting to quite yet. Your eyes drift up to the white ceiling for a bit--shadows, created from the dim light, dance across it. "One more paragraph?" you ask yourself aloud.

A simple nod from your head sends your finger right back to their dance.

'1:12.'

"Alright!" you smile. You quickly save your work then head off to bed. With blankets hugging you, a pillow cradling you, and sleep nagging at your eye lids; you slip from reality in a matter of minutes.