Chapter Two

Dragons talking: "italics"

Dream/flashbacks: "Underlined" 

Hope's POV

We were setting up camp for the night. Well, Hiccup told me to sit and rest, but I was feeling restless so I helped anyway. Even if all I was doing was fishing with Toothless. Cloudjumper, Valka's dragon, was with them at camp so if they needed help he was there. 

"Toothless, what is Berk like?" I asked, again I knew he couldn't really answer me, but I wanted to break the silence. Toothless didn't make very many noises. He just made slight growling and purring sounds, a yip here and there as if actually describing Berk for me. I just nodded and smiled as if I understood. 

"Well... I guess we should start heading back. It's almost midnight." I said standing up and picking up the net of fish that I caught. Toothless grumbled and started walking next to me. 

We made it back in good time, I set the fish on the ground. 

"Oh wow, that's a lot of fish. You must have a lot of practice fishing." Hiccup said with a smile. I smiled back but my eyes were to the ground. 

"Hey, I don't know what your were told to do here, but you don't have to avoid eye contact. We are all friends here." Hiccup scooted closer. I slowly lifted my gaze to meet his. "There we go!" He said handing me a piece of cooked fish. 

There were small conversations here and there, none of which were about my home land. But about Berk, what it was like, the dragons that where there. It all sounded interesting, but I couldn't help the yawn that escaped my mouth. 

"Well, I think it would be best if we all caught a good wink." Valka said laying herself on her dragon's side. Hiccup did the same. I laid myself on the ground with a soft blanket and pillow that they let me have since I don't have a dragon to be my pillow. 

Something about tonight seemed different though. Aside from the obvious, I physically feel different. Something was calling to me. Everyone was already asleep, so I followed my instincts. I got our of my comfortable position and started walking back to the water where Toothless and I were fishing. My head started pounding, my muscles hurt and my bones started cracking. I didn't make a sound though. Although this was strange and it was painful, I had a strange content feeling about it. My vision was becoming blurry, I started to sway from side to side. And with one last agonizing pain in my body I let out a loud scream before I fell into the ocean. 

Toothless's POV

My peaceful dream was interrupted with a loud scream. My head shot up and a loud growl escaped my mouth. Cloudjumper and Valka were already standing with angry faces. Hiccup was still a little to shocked from the rude awakening to notice that Hope, the girl we saved, was missing. 

"Hiccup, she is gone." Valka said, Cloudjumper sniffed and followed her scent to the same fishing spot we were at. 

"Her scent stops at the ocean." Cloudjumper jumped up into the air and flew over the ocean. 

"Where could she have gone? Maybe John took her." Hiccup said holding his hair in his hands in stress. I growled again turning and running into the village. There was not a single soul walking around. Hiccup had now caught up and placed a hand on my head. 

"Toothless she isn't here. She must have gone for a swim or something and got lost... Toothless there is no easy way to say this, but she's gone. There was blood and shredded clothes everywhere in the water and on the beach. She... must have gotten taken by a dragon. My heart sank. There was something about her that I loved. My ears flattened on my head, my gaze became so fixated on the ground that I didn't notice the gloomy presence of Valka and Cloudjumper.