Chapter VI: Pest Control

Livvy!

Please tell everyone that I would love to reply to each and every one's letters, but Simone told me I can only mail it on one sheet. I hope that Damien is doing well. I heard from Xavier that the crew got injured. I hope everyone is doing fine, and they are not too injured. I also anticipate the day when we all get together again. You can tell Summerfeld to take a hike with this slave treatment. I also don't appreciate him beating Charie either. He's a stupid jerk!

Besides that, I am doing well. Mr. Nielson has been using the progress reports you've given him as a means to help in my development. Currently, we are reading poetry, and next we'll be learning the distinct English play styles evolved from Greek to contemporary times.

I hope you won't send any more of that exploding paper. The shavings covered my entire room, and Elliot made this scrunchy angry face and told me to tell you (and I quote): "If you send paper like that, at least have the common decency to tell me [him] first." He then muttered something about having to clean the scorch marks and shavings on the table and the floor.

Lottie Lionsheart

۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞

Lionsheart,

Cheric told me that she did not have time to respond to your letter, so I'm writing in her stead. I hope you're doing well. I'm also sorry about the exploding paper. Had I known, I would have written on my own parchment. I was wondering why she was particular about the paper we used.

I'm doing all right, thank you for asking. I am in the sixth month of rehabilitation for my leg. When the ship capsized in the squall, I had torn my quadricep in my right leg. It was a miracle I had been walking on that beach. It's been two months since they have taken my knee brace off. They expect me to be walking fluidly by my seventh or eighth month of rehab.

You have Mr. Andrew Nielson as your instructor? That's surprising; I've had him as an instructor three to four years ago. Weird. I'm glad to hear that your studies are going well. Try looking up Arthur Rimbaud. His poem "Asleep in the Valley" may peak your interest.

For your knowledge, this paper will not explode. You can rest assured I used my own parchment this time. The Division's crew and I am looking forward to your favorable response.

Damien Drummond

PS: Aden says (and I quote), "You're a naïve damsel in distress who hasn't experienced the likes of a real man."

Um, I don't think he necessarily means to be . . . stupid as you've put it, but perhaps you should avoid calling him names? Maybe you guys should have a heart-to-heart when you two meet because I think you guys just rubbed each other the wrong way. Aden isn't as cruel as you're making him out to be. Hope you'll reconsider.

۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞

Everyone,

Time seems to fly by faster than I would like it to. I'm doing well. With the way things are going, I will be caught up with everyone in academics in no time! Damien, I found the poet you mentioned, and I love his poems! Mr. Nielson was impressed by your suggestion he decided to add a curriculum on poets from the seventeenth century to my studies. I don't know whether to hug you or strangle you the next time we see each other.

I didn't know the extent to your injury, Damien. I hope that your leg will get better with each passing day! I see you sailing the seas, not resting on a bed or wheelchair! I'll send you my thoughts as you're recovering.

Livvy, you're being unfair! No offense to Damien, but I hoped to hear from my best friend to see how she's doing. Moe. You could at least say hi!

I'll reconsider being nice to Summerfeld if he apologizes for calling me Charie-Lottie and treating me like an idiot. I have a name you know: It's Char . . . well, you know. I'll apologize for calling him names too if he does.