Ch 4: Karma

Hunter POV:

It was dawn the next morn when I stood in front of a mirror portal to the mortal realms along with Phoenix and Syric.

The unseelie looked bored.

He was going to the mortal realm for the first time to convince the halfling daughter of Aton king of fae to bare his child and he looked bored.

This is why I cannot stand the unseelie, it was likely a game to him. Nothing more.

Syric looked us over, "now remember you only have the mortal money given to you and whatever it is you are bringing in your bags. Do not forget to glamour yourselves, the laws if your individual courts still apply to you two. Even in that realm."

I watched carefully as he opened the portal, I spent a long time yesterday evening trying to come up with the perfect mortal glamour to enchant the halfling Violett.

As I stepped through the portal I began to set it into place, ignoring Phoenix's easy stride beside me.

~~

We re emerged in a small pond, i glanced myself over in the waters reflection. my once shimmering golden hair was now a much shorter tawnier blond, the crystalline blue of my eyes slightly less so and my skin now withheld the golden luster of my fae fire. I double checked to make sure that my particularly seelie features were gone, the pointed ears and sharp edges to my jaw. My clothing much more human. "Perfect."

I tuned to see Phoenix and froze.

...he changed nothing.

His dark hair still brushed the blades of his shoulders, his gaze hasn't dulled in the slightest. He even kept those obnoxious tattoos up his arms. His was covered in fae symbols and ruins. I practically growled, "Did you change anything?"

Phoenix looked me over then shrugged, "my hair isn't quite as lustrous and I dulled my cheekbones. And human ears. I have them now. And look, this disgusting thing called denim now confines part of my body."

"Your covered in fae Tattoos!"

He ignored me, slinging his bag over his shoulder, "I don't change for anyone seelie, one halfling wont make me. A piece of advice, it turns a woman off when you try to hard both mentally and...physically."

I just frowned at him, "why would you give me advice?"

He just peered at me over his shoulder as he walked into the woods. "Because you're pathetic."

~~

Phoenix POV:

The mortal realm reeks of unnatural chemicals and desperation.

Hunter might just fit in perfectly here considering the latter. He's probably off trying to find the girl as sun sets.

Suppose its true then, as dawn rises in the realm of the fae, dusk creeps upon the mortals.

as soon as I was deep enough into the woodlands I pulled out my star charts.

We sported some of the same constellations as mortals but the stars here held a distinctive pattern of their own. And yet they were duller here.