Ch 8: Moon Milk

Violett POV:

Phoenix didn't grace us with his presence for dinner, he didn't even respond when I knocked upon the basement door.

I have yet to see or hear from him since he departed.

Hunter on the other hand....turns out to be very helpful even though he is a bit strange.

He smiled at me from across the dinner table, "thank you for the meal Violett you really do not have to do such things for us."

I shrugged a bit. Honestly if the fae were really real and I truly wasnt as crazy as my mother -if my mother isn't crazy- I owe it to her to understand the beings she loved so much.

My mind drifted back to Phoenix, from what I have seen I doubt that was my fathers court. If he is an accurate portrayal anyways.

"Do not fret over Phoenix. He is disastrous to ones mood. Now tell me once more what is it we are eating?"

I smiled at his obvious attempt to understand at least this and steer me away from worrying too much. "Garlic mashed potatoes and pot roast."

"Pot roast." He muttered slightly amused, "what strange things humans come up with."

I laughed lightly "here before you try it dont forget the gravy."

He took it nodding in thanks as he prepared his food and then observed a roasted carrot on his fork before taking a bite, "odd as it may have been prepared this is quite pleasant to taste."

"Why thank you I'm glad you approve. Thank you for your help cutting the vegetables."

"The least I could do to ease the burden placed upon you."

We sat im silence for a short period before picking up light conversation.

Neither of us brought up anything related to Phoenix or faries again.

We talked about food mainly and hobbies.

As it turns out, he likes to paint and has a fondness for horses.

I liked listening to him, talking to him.

He was easy to talk to.

Living as long as I have shut out from normal peoples lives an conversation, facing nothing but contempt, it was nice.

I was grateful to talk about birds and butterflies instead of the insanity my life has begun to spiral into.

~~

After showing Hunter to his room upstairs, the one directly beside mine, I decided I needed a long relaxing bath and some time to gather my thoughts.

They want me to give one of them a child huh?

How about no I'm too young to play mommy, my life too turbulent.

And I most certainly was not moving to fairy land with my baby daddy.

I sank deeper into the bubbly water, honestly I didn't think I was the kinda girl to have a baby daddy. I wasn't confident enough he would stick around.

My father didn't.

...why would two fae want me anyways?