Chapter 8: The First Day

Getting ready for school had never been so hectic. 

I was used to my quiet routine of turning the water on, waiting for the tank to heat up, washing my face, getting dressed, having cornflakes and leaving. I was not, however, at all prepared for what it was like being in a dorm with three other girls.

A nice change was the unlimited hot water that Hogwarts had. When it was my turn, I took my time in the shower, brushed my teeth and tied my hair half up, half down, secured with a yellow ribbon. I exited the bathroom so Eliza could go inside and pulled on my shirt, tie and skirt, rolling it up a few inches like I used to do at home. With my socks pulled up to my knees and my shoes on, I grabbed my cloak and my bag that was filled with parchment and quills, standing by the door patiently waiting for the others.

Meanwhile, the others ran around frantically, shoving books into bags and shoes onto feet. Piper was upset because she couldn't find her green scrunchie. So, rolling my eyes, I placed down my neatly packed bag, pulled on my cloak and began helping her look. Eden was trying to turn her cloak rainbow, while simultaneously tying her shoelaces. I frowned to myself, unsure how she even had enough hands for that. Then I realised that she wasn't holding her wand and it was floating in front of her while she muttered different spells.

"How are you doing that?" I asked curiously.

"I'm not sure, I thought it was just a magic thing and that everyone could do it," she told me, giving up on her cloak and standing up, bag in hand.

"That's not something I've seen before," said Eliza, picking up her bag too.

"My family knows a lot about this stuff," Piper informed us, "I think it's called telekinesis or something like that. Where you can move things with your mind."

Eden smiled to herself. "Cool."

Opening the door, I said, "Shall we go?" 

The others nodded, and with one final check around the room, we left for the Great Hall.

-

The other girls from the dorm next door had already arrived, as had the boys I had met yesterday at the feast. Professor Sprout was handing out our timetables at the front. Piper offered to collect them as I sat down along with Eden and Eliza. The breakfast food was almost as extreme as last night's meal. There were dishes filled with scrambled eggs, baked beans and sausages, plates stacked high with toast and big boxes of cereals I had never seen before. Of course, I tucked in right away. Piper walked towards us briskly, four pieces of paper in her hands. She handed me one of them and I examined it closely. 

"Oh, we have Charms with the Gryffindors later, so we'll see Hermione," I told Eliza, "But first we've got Transfiguration with the Slytherins and- ugh, the teacher who told me off last night!"

She sighed, "And we've got Potions with Professor Snape too. I've heard he's really strict."

I groaned. Strict teachers weren't what I had in mind for this year. 

Soon, the Great Hall was clearing out as people made their way to their first classes. I followed the others, who seemed to know what they were doing. We arrived outside a door where a familiar teacher stood waiting. I lined up against the wall quickly, fearing her wrath.

She led us inside, putting a seating plan on the blackboard. I groaned for the second time that morning when I learned that she'd moved me completely away from my friends. I sat down at my desk that was right in the front under McGonagall's watchful eye. Eliza smiled at me sympathetically from her place next to Eden.

"I swear this is child abuse," I muttered to myself, getting my parchment out of my bag. The person who had been seated next to me snorted. My cheeks flushed slightly, "Please don't tell her I said that."