Chapter 5: On Our Way

"I had amnesia before I hit your vehicle."

The words repeatedly circle inside my head, a endless cycle of letters bouncing within my brain as it attempts to make sense of them.

I stare straight ahead, my right eye unconsciously twitching as my hands flex against the steering wheel.

Deep breath in. Slowly exhale.

Be calm. You are calm.

I plaster a smile across my lips, turning my head to look over at Casey. "Eh hem, Casey." The smile hardens.

"What the hell does that mean?!" I explode, banging my fist against the wheel as I blow another deep breath out.

"So you didn't have the slightest inkling that maybe, just maybe you should've mentioned this to me before I helped you and let you into my home?!"

Casey leans forward in his seat, clasping his hands over his ears and the back of his head as his back rises and falls quicker than my own. Eyes tightly shut.

"I'm sorry, really I am." Casey mutters just loud enough for me to hear, slightly rocking back and forth in his seat, each word sounding strained.

I can't help but suddenly feel a little concerned at his sudden change in behavior.

No Nora! Don't feel anything for this lying, conniving guy. Ignore your instincts!

"I didn't plan for any of this to happen." He breathes, his voice rough and raw. "I'm honestly just as confused as you are about this whole thing. I didn't know what to do."

It grows quiet, only the sound of both our breaths filling the confide space.

Alright Nora, control and cool. You are cool and controlled. You will not let fear and feelings twist your mind to the point you can't think.

Count to five. Bring yourself back down to earth.

I keep my eyes on the road, my mind on autopilot as it navigates the familiar streets. I press on the radio button, instantly feeling relief as my usual calming music starts up in the background.

Rolling my shoulders, I blow a piece of hair out from my eye, index finger ticking away on the wheel.

"So what then?" I feel Casey's eyes land on me in confusion, his head tilting up from its downward position.

I shrug. "What's the last thing you remember then if it's apparently not hitting me?" I carelessly toss my arm to the side. "Or can you not tell me for some reason?"

He stays silent for a moment, then he glances up through the front window shield, a breath of air seeming to get stuck in his throat.

"Waking up in a deserted room - underground, up....there."

I look towards where he's staring at, a look of bewilderment growing across my face.

The mountain I drive around practically every other day sits to the left, a forest of pine trees dotting each and every spot, snow covering it, dark and looming despite the morning light.

I slow down, quickly glancing over at him to show my skepticism. "Up there on Pine ridge reservation? Where it's been sealed off for years - as-in no trespassing?"

His head bobs in a slow nod, his throat moving in a thick swallow.

How'd he even know it was that specific mountain?