22. The Voice

"Lucy!" A faint voice screamed her name, then suddenly everything went black and she passed out.

''What's going on?'' Lucy asked,  attempting to touch her head, but her hand went right through. What was going on? Where was she?

''Ugh. Another human. My favorite.'' A voice sarcastically whined from nothingness surrounding her.

''Hello? Who's there?'' She asked out loud. ''Who are you? What are you?''

''I don't know, who are you?'' It asked. It held no figure but its presence was immense and absolute. Lucy could feel it surrounding her.

''I'm Lucy, you called for me?'' She asked, confusion overcoming her.

''Lucy, who? I don't know who you are.'' It replied.

''Lucy,'' She stressed, ''The eldest daughter of a seamstress and a fisherman.'' She explained.

''Hmm. Nope, still not ringing any bells.''

''Eldest Daughter, of an oracle sister.'' She tried, remembering that her mother wasn't the simple seamstress she knew growing up.

''Oh that Lucy!" It suddenly recognized her.

"Yes! Lucy, me!" She cheered, relieved.

"You are to live out the prophecy.'' It replied.

''What's with all the prophecies?'' Lucy whined. Her mom's prophecy, Arthur's prophecy, now her prophecy. Whose story hasn't been prophesied yet? Was fate really predetermined?

''That's a great question, for another day.'' It said and would have nodded if it could.

''Okay, then who are you?'' She asked, skeptical.

''I am your spirit guide.'' It answered.

''Are you the narrator of my story?'' Lucy asked. It made sense if her life was already written for her, somebody had to have written in.

''Hells no! Do you think I have that kind of time? To sit around and think about your every action? No. I am your spirit guide.'' It stressed with a stern lecture.

''Okay, I get it. So we are in the spirit realm then, right?'' Lucy inquired. Looking around there was nothing, it was just a dull filter of Earth. Below her were the streets of Camelot where her lifeless body lay slumped against a building.

''Well I guess that depends on perspective. To me, this is just home, to you this is 'the spirit realm'.'' It said with heavy sarcasm.

''Why did you say it like that?'' Lucy asked looking away from her comatose body. What was this place?

''Because everyone who comes here calls it different things. The afterlife, the underworld, purgatory, the unknown, the in between, you name it.'' It ranted.

''Okay, calm down.'' Lucy crossed her metaphysical arms.

''Sorry, it's been a long millennium. I thought it was just a mood, but I'm starting to think, nah it's who I am now.'' It said as if it shrugged its nonexistent shoulders.