48. The Raven

Song: Far From Home - Sam Tinnesaz

Arthur suddenly woke up. Only this time, he was in his bedroom at the brothel. It had been some time since he had been here but he remembered it vividly. He heard a loud thud and yelling coming from down the hall. He got up from the bed and quickly walked towards the room where the noises got louder from. His fists clenched, he was ready for a fight.

He slammed the door open and stared down at the man who had raised his hands to Lucy. Not his Lucy, but his friend, the one he couldn't save. Her face kept flashing before his mind's eye and he became dazed. The man lunged forward and attacked him.

Even in his dazed state, the man was no real match for Arthur. He easily deflected attacks while landing his own with follow-through. One solid punch to the brute's nose knocked him down to the floor.

Forgetting instantly about the man Arthur reached towards Lucy, trying to pull her out of the room and away from the danger. Every time he reached out she seemed further away.

"Come on, Lucy. Let's go," Arthur begged.

"Please, let's get out of here." He held his hand out.

He stared at her blankly. Why wasn't she responding? Slowly she shook her head no.

Suddenly the brute was on his feet again and attacked Arthur from behind.

Arthur quickly turned around and defended himself but he was caught off guard.

He pushed back against the brute and the next thing he knew he was throwing the man out the front door of the brothel.

"Never touch a woman like that again!" He yelled out to the man who stumbled away in a drunken stupor.

He turned back to see Lucy. She was still in her room. She wouldn't leave.

"Why won't you come with me?"

"Because Arthur, this is my home. This is where I belong." She said simply, looking around at the brothel.

The burned-down remnants of the brothel flashed in his mind. A painful reminder that everything was gone, not just her.

"You don't belong here. You deserve better." He pleaded with her. He wanted nothing more but to provide for the woman who helped raise him to be the man he was today.

"Who are you to determine such things?" She laughed. The purity of it sounded like music to his ears. He hadn't realized till this moment how much he truly missed her.

"Why, I am King," he replied with his chest puffed out. He wasn't one to take advantage of his power but surely this was one reason to.

"But you are no god. You bear the responsibility of a god but you are still just a man. Don't forget your origins."

"I haven't forgotten my origins. I still remember."

"Not here, not your life with us. I mean your parents." She whispered to him. She seemed to fade away as Arthur found himself staring out at the dock he last saw his parents at.

...

Lucy glared at her sister pinned in place with her magick. Her frustration with her sister was starting to turn to anger. Why wouldn't she just listen?!

"That's right sister, get angry. Do you feel it yet?" Mary mocked Lucy.

"Just surrender! I am more powerful and much more controlled than you," Lucy said between clenched teeth.

"Don't worry, no matter what happens to me here, it won't stop the Vikings from their attack. And your precious Arthur is stuck in the void with no way out."

Lucy curled her hands into fists, her power pushing down harder on Mary. She needed to do something. She needed to save everyone. What was wrong with her sister? Why would she do this?

Lucy clenched her fists, squeezing Mary a little more causing her to let out a cry in pain.

She realized in that moment that she could do it, just a little tighter and she could end her sister. Life had never felt so fragile. But just because she could do it, would she?

And for a beat Lucy wondered, before resoundingly realizing that no, she couldn't go through with it. She released her sister from her pinned position.

As Mary landed on her feet Lucy struck Mary in the chest in a calculated move. An electric shock snapped between them and Mary passed out. In an instant, Mary went from standing to on the floor. Lucy ran to her sister and checked for signs of life.

Watching carefully Lucy was able to see Mary breathing. Taking a breath of relief, Lucy knew this was just the beginning of a long road for her sister. Quickly she gathered her things, leaving Mary passed out on the floor, and ran from the castle towards the battlegrounds. She would have to come back later to deal with her sister but right now she needed to stop the kingdom from falling into enemy hands. 
...

Bedievere wielded his sword with might but his stamina was running out and fatigue was starting to set in. There were men dead and dying all around him but he couldn't focus on that now. He had fought many battles in his life, but battling against the Northmen's axes was by far the bloodiest.

He heard the cawing of ravens overhead and it sent a chill down his spine. Something needed to happen, and quickly, or this skirmish was going to turn into a war. Bedievere wished he knew where Arthur was right now. He trusted Lucy to take care of him but now he was starting to doubt her. Where was the witch? Why hasn't he seen her yet?

Màga took over one of the ravens to keep a bird's eye view of the situation and it wasn't good. Many of the young men in the army were wounded or fallen and the older, more experienced men weren't faring much better.

Tristan's men had flanked and joined the bloody battle as they pushed closer and closer to the cliff's edge. He knew they were starting to get too close but he kept pushing them back as he fought. A few of the Northmen started to notice and push back even harder. More and more men were dying on both sides. The toll was all too real and both armies were feeling the effects of it. 

"STOP!" Lucy's scream reverberated through the fighting men, every single one of them hearing her voice carry at an inhuman pitch. They felt her voice to their very core as it echoed inside them. 

_________________________________________________________

Author's Note: 1104 words

Ahhh! I'm gonna leave it there but the next one is on its way and I promise it will all be worth it. In some ways, even though it has literally taken me FOREVER! to finish writing this. I think it had its purpose. I wasn't ready to finish writing it before but I think I am now. I literally have the ending stuck in my head and I have to do something with it so. Here we go!