28. Merlin

As Lucy approached the Table Room she could hear the voices of those inside. She never intended to overhear a conversation not meant for her but she could help but stop and listen anyway.

"You aren't suggesting what I think you are, are you?" Arthur asked skeptically.

"I left to consult with Merlin and our concerns remain the same. Lucy's power grows with great strength and no one knows the true extent of her powers. We want to take her back with us, train her and teach her how to properly control her potential." Mága explained.

"Why can't you stay and do that here? The castle is yours to use." Arthur retorted.

"I don't think that will be enough. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but until we truly understand what is going on I think it is best." Mága explained thoughtfully.

She couldn't explain what she was hearing but she knew it was enough to make her mad. She quickly but quietly left her spot in the Table Room entryway and made her way to the library instead. She felt a mess of emotions, of which wanted to make her scream and cry at the same time. Why did everyone think they knew what was best for her? She pushed the library doors open with a huff, anger still boiling inside her veins. What she wasn't expecting as she entered her sanctuary was to find a strange man standing in the middle of the library reading Merlin's journal. She was all but ready to explode. Nothing was sacred anymore.

The strange old man looked up from the book to inspect her, which he did with a half smile before he spoke. "You must be the troubled girl. I am Merlin." He introduced himself. Lucy had only stopped and stared. She couldn't believe her eyes, it was the man himself.

"Oh. Um, my name is Lucy, I am very honored to meet you." She all but gasped. Were there any more surprises in store for her?

"I assure you I am no one special." He smiled friendly at her, "But I may be of some use."

"And by that you mean to take me away?" Lucy asked, remembering despite his presence that they weren't here to help her.

"I have no such intentions. You belong here, in Camelot." Merlin replied.

"Then what do you want from me?" She asked with arms crossed over her chest defensively. She didn't want to be taken away when had so much yet to do.

He didn't reply to her but rather continued to flip through his journal that he held in his hands.

After a long moment of silence he spoke, "Have you read through this yet?" He asked.

"Um," She said, taken a little off guard, "some. I haven't had much time to myself."

"It feels as if it has been a lifetime since I had written this."

"I'm sure it was a long time ago."

"It was a time I will never forget." He looked up at her with a sad smile.

She didn't know what to say back so she just flashed him a heartfelt smile then turned away to look at something else. She had so many questions but didn't know how to voice any of them. She just wanted to read an escape from this reality.

"You look just like her you know?" Merlin spoke, catching Lucy's attention.

"Like who?" Lucy asked with a questioning eyebrow.

"Your mother of course." He replied.

"You knew her?" Lucy asked.

Merlin didn't have time to respond as suddenly Arthur burst through the library doors.

"Aha! I knew I would find you here. Why did you leave when I told you I was coming back?" Arthur asked Lucy, slightly frustrated with her.

"You were taking too long, I got bored," Lucy replied without sparing him a glance as she looked for a book she hasn't read yet.