Chapter 5: Down, Down, and Under

Fear finally set me down. I had closed my eyes the entire flight; I wasn't the biggest fan of heights. I reopened them just in time to see the most beautiful sunset. Its golden rays cast a warm glow over the town of Justice. The buildings in the background were all made of glass and they reflected the light in every direction. It seemed to be lighter out now then it had earlier.

"Beautiful, huh?" Fear said and startled me from my awe.

I took in my surroundings. I stood in a grassy field a mile out of town. The sun shone in a perfect circle on the field. The darker grass around it seemed to lean into the lit up grass. Fear put his hand on the small of my back and gave me a shove forward.

"Let's go," he grunted.

He led me to the center of the lit up circle and pushed a button on his black wristwatch.

A quiet buzz made my attention snap to the ground below me. The buzz grew and grew louder until it sounded like a drill. My heart began to panic, but when Fear placed his hand on my shoulder I felt a sense of security. I knew I shouldn't, he was the furthest thing from safe, but tell that to my body which was heating up just from his touch.

The world around me began to rise up and I realized that the grass was a platform that was sinking down into the ground. The drills were painful to my ears and my head snapped to look at Fear. He only stood solid looking straight forward. His chest brooding and built and his face covered by the slight darkness. His body was rigid and proud, yet relaxed in a way that meant he felt at home, which was odd considering this was the furthest thing from home to me.

His hand was still on my shoulder and he only took it off when the platform stopped. I realized why he had done it, not to soothe me, but to keep me from falling off; I was as wobbly as a one legged toddler.

He began walking away, not even bothering to check if I was following.

Cocky bastard.

I realized that I could rather follow or be stuck there all alone, so I began walking to catch up. We stopped in front of a huge metal door that was so smooth and clean that I could see my reflection almost perfectly. The door had no doorknob or crevice for a key of sorts. I looked over to Fear and he only smirked.

Fear extended his hand forward so that it was almost touching the door, but it was still a few centimeters away from the smooth surface. He closed his eyes and within seconds, a small charge of electricity exchanged between his hand and the door. The door then began to glow and buzz. The light eminating from the door gradually grew brighter and brighter until my eyes couldn't bear it anymore. I shut my eyes and beneath my eyelids I noticed that the light was gone. I slowly cracked one eye open to see what had happened. 

The door had completely disappeared and left no trace of ever being there. My eyebrows drew into confusion, but I didn't have time for that; Fear had already stepped through the gateway and was walking off towards the shadows. I sighed loudly in discontent trying to catch his attention, but he rather didn't hear me or didn't care and kept walking, so I scurried to catch up with him.

Please vote and leave a comment

~Pattsy <3