Chapter 9

Frank and Clyde had been riding for, well, years really. But most recently they had been riding for several months stopping at all the towns, big and small, they came to. They were coming into the small town of Mintonville; it wasn't a real big town but they did have a saloon, a hotel and a diner. They pulled up in front of the diner and tied their horse to the hitching rail. After stretching their legs for a moment, he stepped up on the uneven sidewalk and into the diner. Finding an empty table each plopped down in a chair grateful to be sitting on something that wasn't moving. The waitress, a cute redhead, came over to bring them menus and take their order. Frank pulled out his copy of the picture Jeremiah had given him and laid it on the table.

"I don't know about you Clyde but I will be happy as hell when we find this girl. I am so tired of living in the saddle."

"I know what you mean, but after more than three years, I'm really beginning to think we might not ever find her. It's like she dropped off the face of the earth. Hell, for all we know she could be dead." Clyde grumbled.

The waitress brought out their food and set it on the table. Each man dove in savoring every morsel of food they put in their mouth. Neither one spoke again until they had cleared their plates. The waitress was refilling their coffee cups when Frank showed her the picture and asked if she had seen the woman.

"No, I'm sorry I haven't. But you might want to check with the clerk at the hotel. We have had a lot of people passing through lately."

"Thank you Ma'am. We'll head over there next."

After paying their bill and stabling their horses for the night they walked to the hotel and rang the bell for the clerk.

"Can I help you gentlemen?" The clerk asked.

"We'd like two rooms." Frank replied.

"Yes, of course. If you will just fill out the register, I'll get your room keys."

The clerk was handing over the keys when Frank showed him the picture. "Have you seen this woman before?"

The clerk stared at the picture for a minute; he was starting to shake his head no but changed his mind. "I think I may have. I think it was her and her husband came in about a month ago and stayed overnight."

"You wouldn't happen to have the name of her husband would you?" Frank asked hopefully.

"Well, I don't know. I don't usually give out the names of our guests."

Frank began to get a little frustrated, they were so close now. "Look, you can give us the information. She ran off with the man she was with about three years ago and we've been looking for her. Her pa's real sick and he just wants to see his only child again before he dies."

"Oh, well in that case, I don't want to keep a dying man from seeing his daughter one last time. Hold on just a minute while I look in the register. Ummm, yes here it is. Weston, Cole Weston is her husband. That's all I can tell you, I'm sorry." The clerk said regretfully.

"I appreciate it and I know her pa will too." Frank grabbed the keys, giving Clyde his they went upstairs to go plan their next move.

"Holy Shit Frank! Do you know who she's married to? Cole Weston is or was a bounty hunter and the fasted gun I've ever seen! The boss is going to be so pissed when he finds out she's married and who she's married to."

"Look, Clyde, we'll telegraph the boss in the morning. He'll know what to do." Frank replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~