Chapter 14

"Come in." Grace called.

The door knob turned and Anne's head poked in. "Are you up for some company?"

"Of course! In fact, I'm desperate for it." Grace sat her sewing down and got up from her rocking chair in the corner of the room. Cole had surprised her with it the day after Blake was born. He'd been sweet and attentive since their reunion, but since Blake had been born he was downright sappy sometimes. He brought her something back almost every time he left their room, not that she was complaining.

Thinking about their room was a sore subject. She was more than ready to go home but Cole still insisted on waiting. He wanted her to be stronger before they went back to the ranch. Grace knew that he had his reasons and that he felt it was the best way to keep them safe. After the way he lost his first family, she couldn't really blame him.

Anne walked over and gave Grace a hug. "I've been trying to stay away and give you time to bond as a family and rest, but I couldn't stand it any longer. How has he been sleeping? Is he eating good?"

"Oh, Blake is the best baby. He sleeps most of the night, and when he does wake up he usually eats and goes right back to sleep. Look, why don't we go outside. I'm tired of being cooped up in this room. We could go sit beside the creek out back. It's always been one of my favorite spots."

"That would be lovely. It's a really beautiful day."

"Where are the children?" Grace asked as she walked over to pick Blake up from the cradle Cole had surprised her with the day their son was born.

"I left them with Andy over at the jail. They just love going to work with daddy. Here, let me get him, please?" Anne held her arms out as Grace handed the sleeping infant to her friend.

Grace grabbed the extra quilt off the foot of the bed for them to sit on as they left the room. They went down the short hallway and down the back stairs out into the bright sunshine. They walked over to the huge water oak and Grace spread the quilt out on the lush green grass beside the bubbling creek. The day was warm, but comfortable in the shade of the trees, and a soft breeze rustling through the leaves made the day almost perfect.

This had always been one of Grace's favorite places to go and relax. She and Lily spent many a summer evening here. Lily would chase fireflies and Grace would unwind from a long day of working in the diner. Sometimes she would read to Lily. Other times she would just close her eyes and clear her mind of all her worries and listen to the happy gurgle of the water. The creek wasn't deep so the water was always crystal clear and ran fairly fast over the rocks making just enough sound to drown out the noise of town. They were just off the main street but being behind the hotel made it felt secluded and private.

"You know Anne, I don't think I ever thanked you for all your help the day I had Blake."

"Oh, you don't have to thank me Grace. I've helped Doc Baker before. It was just a bonus to be there to help my best friend, too. How did it compare to your labor with Lily?"

Grace's smile faded and her face became serious. Anne reached over and grabbed Grace's hand. "Honey, I am so sorry! I shouldn't have brought Lily up. Please forgive me?"

Grace took a deep steadying breath. "It's true that I miss her and I always will. But I know that life has to go on. The good Lord has blessed me with Blake and Cole and I'm immensely grateful. But, Anne, there's something that I need to tell you..."

Grace broke off her sentence and turned her head to look over her shoulder. She felt like she was being watched. Her emerald eyes scanned the back of the hotel and other buildings; however, she didn't see anyone. The bank was on the far side of the hotel and the mercantile was on the other. All three had windows facing the creek. There were other buildings that backed up to the creek as well, but they were farther away. After scanning the area again and still seeing nothing, she turned back and faced Anne.