Beauty, Her Beau, and Her Beast (A Rumbelle/OUAT Fanfic)

~* NOTE: This is in an alternate situation, where Storybrooke and The Curse never existed, and Rumplestiltskin discovered Belle was being kept in Regina's dungeon (not dead), where he rescued her. They now live together in his castle. *~

Belle's POV

I wake screaming, not sure if I was still in the nightmare that was my life for the past few years. Then, miraculously, he's there at my side, consoling me.

"Belle?" Rumplestiltskin questions, concerned. "What is it, my love?"

"Oh, Rumple.. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. It's just..."

"It was that nightmare again, wasn't it?" He mutters, wrapping an arm around me. "Belle, you need not torture yourself anymore. You're safe now. I've made sure of it. You're out of The Queen's dungeon."

"I know, I know. I'm just not used to this yet." I look up at him and give him a wobbly smile. "You're my hero, Rumple. I could never repay you for saving me."

"I don't need any repayment, dear," he sighs, returning my smile. "You being here is enough. Now, shall we go back to bed?" He lies back down, looking expectantly up at me.

"Oh, of course." I lay on my back and curl up into him, resting my hand on his chest. "Goodnight, Rumple."

"Goodnight, Belle."

Rumplestiltskin's POV

I simply can't imagine what Regina has done to Belle to make her like this. I lie awake, staring up at the ceiling, as she dozes beside me. It's only been two weeks since I've rescued her, but whenever I try to get her to open up about what happened behind those cold, dungeon walls, she'll shut up and make up some chore that she has to do- even though I have assured her countless times that she has no reason to clean up around my, our, castle anymore. I just want her to be happy, but something is holding her back. She isn't my Belle, not just yet. She isn't the Belle who made me believe that there was still a man inside the beast I was.

I glance over at her sleeping form, feeling a smile appear on my face. One of her brown curls has fallen loose over her eyes. As I slowly push it back, so as not to wake her, I hear her soft voice mumbling.

"I thought we were going to sleep..."

"Ah, yes. Sorry. Just thinking," I quietly respond, finally closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep.

Belle's POV

There's already sunlight streaming through the break in the drapes when I awake. I sleepily reach over to rouse Rumple and feel nothing but empty sheets. My eyes shoot open and I sit up, searching for him in the empty room.

"Rumple?" I call out, slightly panicked. He never leaves in the morning without waking me first. Is something wrong?

Just then, he walks into the room, carrying an ornate silver tray topped with a steaming plate of breakfast and a gleaming glass.

"Oh," he says, sounding slightly disappointed. "I meant to surprise you with this." He meekly raises the tray, giving me a shy smile. "I'm trying to get used to the whole 'romance' idea."

"Breakfast in bed?" I laugh, throwing off my covers and walking over to him. "I'm hardly any sort of royalty."

"You are to me. Shall we have breakfast in the dining hall, then?"

I nod and take the tray from his hands, giving him a small kiss on the cheek as I pass him and head toward the dining hall, not caring that I'm still in my nightgown. There is a short pause before I hear his steps behind me, as if he hesitated because of the gesture I made.

I smile to myself as I enter the dining hall, and I cannot help but think how wonderful it is to be back. Setting the tray at the end of the long, shining mahogany wood dining table, I spin around and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. There's still that musty scent that always seemed to linger around, but under that another, sweeter smell, one that's comforting and familiar to me. The smell of roses.

Rumplestiltskin's POV

I pause for a moment after she kisses me, wondering if she noticed how awkward I was before. Then I realize that I have no need to be awkward. I love her, and she loves me, and there is no power greater than that of true love. I follow her into the dining hall, stopping at the door when I see her eyes closed and a dreamy smile on her face.

"You look beautiful," I say, walking toward her.

Her eyes slowly open, and her arms wrap around me when I get close enough, her head resting on my shoulder. I return the embrace, kissing the top of her head and rubbing her back.

"Is everything alright, dearie?" I ask.

"Everything is perfect. I just missed here, you, so very much. It's a dream come true."

"I'm sure any dream involving me is called a 'nightmare'," I joke, making her smile again.

"Not at all, Rumple. Not at all."

We sit down for breakfast, conversing with our mouths full for the rest of the meal. We simply had so much to say to each other, so much to share. We couldn't afford to miss a second.

"And that is how I learned to never walk into a creek with one shoe on," I finish, setting down my fork. She laughs at my story, giving me a peck on the lips before she begins to collect the empty dishes.

"Belle, honestly, there is no need." With a wave of my hand, the dishes and utensils become sparkling clean, and with another they disappear in a cloud of purple, hazy smoke. She smiles, embarrassed.

"I just think of it as a way to repay you," she mumbles, sitting back down and looking down at her lap.

"You live in a castle, do you not? That makes you my queen. Queens don't work," I reply, placing one of my hands on top of hers.

She flinches at the use of the word 'Queen', which no doubt brings back memories of her time in the dungeons. I am quick to fix my mistake.

"Oh, I'm sorry my dear, but you're nothing like her. You'll never see her again, either." I hesitate before leaning over and kissing her on the cheek. "I promise."

She beams up at me, when suddenly there is a knock at the door.

"I wonder who that could be?" I mutter under my breath, pushing back the chair and standing up. "Stay here, Belle."

Belle's POV

I watch as he walks to the other end of the hall, choosing to teleport himself to the front entrance instead of opening the doors and letting me know the identity of the visitor. There are a few moments of silence before I hear what he says.

"YOU!" he snarls, "WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE HERE?! AFTER WHAT YOU DID TO HER!"

There is more silence before I hear the reply.

"I have every right to be here," I hear a familiar voice say, one I've come to know so much from my time in her dungeons.

"After all, you are in my kingdom, and I am The Queen."

~* Well, what do you guys think? This is my first time writing, and I want some opinions/advice. What better way to start than with Rumbelle? Do you want more chapters? Let me know! *~