Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Monday morning I'd begun to finally calm down about the mystery man when he showed up again. I was walking outside to wait for Evan and froze. He was standing across the street. Since I was just on my porch, I walked back inside immediately.

"He's out there," I told Dad, who immediately sprang from the computer and walked outside with a firm look at me. Nevertheless, I went to the window to watch.

Dad was already across the street, talking to him. Quietly the man turned and left, but not without a glance through the window directly at me.

"Call your boyfriend," said Dad as soon as he walked back in. "I'm driving you to school this morning, and if you see him again, I'm picking you up."

I nodded and pulled my phone out.

Brianna demanded that I go to the police the moment I told her about the creepy guy. "And tell them what?" I asked. "That I saw someone look at me and he showed up at my house? They can't do anything until he has."

Evan sighed and shook his head. "I think she's right, Lil. Better to tell them before anything happens."

"I won't. You know how much I hate new people, or calling people." I crossed my arms. "I've said my piece and counted to three." Brianna grumbled under her breath, walking to lunch.

"What?" asked Erika, completely clueless.

"She counted to three," mumbled Evan. "Ridiculous." Scotty patted him sympathetically on the back as they followed Brianna.

"You've never seen 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' " I questioned.

"What is that?"

I rolled my eyes. "Uncultured child..." she rolled her eyes and I chuckled, hurrying after everyone.

I didn't see him again for a while, whatever Dad said must've scared him off.

Evan didn't leave my side though, from the moment I opened my front door in the morning to the moment I closed it at the end of the day. He was worried about me, unnaturally so.

"Evan," I said that Friday as he drove me to dinner before the game, "you need to quit focusing so much on this guy and focus on your dad."

"Not a chance. I will not let you be hurt by him." His tone was so sharp my head snapped over at him almost involuntarily. His brow was furrowed deeply and he appeared almost angry as he glared at the road.

"Evan, I'm fine. You don't need to worry about me." He slammed on the brakes and pulled over so he could look me in the eye.

"Liliana, I've lost too many people in my life. I care about you and I will not let anyone hurt you or take you from me."

"Who did you lose exactly? I mean, I know your mom left and your dad..."

He frowned and changed his expression to sorrowful. "My mom? My mom didn't leave, Lil. She died in childbirth."

"I thought you knew her?" I asked hesitantly. I thought his mom had just vanished. I didn't know she was dead.

"I did." At my lost expression, he looked away. "I was going to have a little sister."

I'm sure my shock was evident, because his expression softened. "I just don't want anything to happen to you. Not when everything was finally starting to become perfect."

I nodded mutely and let him continue driving with no interruption. A tear slipped from my eye. We arrived at the restaurant and he reached over to stop me from getting out for a moment. "Why are you crying?"

"It would be awful to not have my mom or Madelyn. I can't imagine it. How-how old were you?"

"Nine." He seemed surprised that I was upset.

"I'm sorry, Evan." I squeezed his hand.

He gave me a smile before climbing out. Following closely, I kept glancing around for that guy.

"Hello," said the cashier. We were just getting something quick. "How can I help you?"

"Lil?" Evan urged me to go ahead.

"Chipotle chicken snack wrap, crispy chicken, and a medium drink."

That evening during the game I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped around, nearly knocking Cal over. It was him. His hair was jet black, his eyes dark and cold.

"Wh-who are you?" I asked.

"Matthew." His voice was sharp and cold.

I looked desperately to the stands, but Mom and Dad hadn't been able to make it for the game. Brianna's parents were here though. Instantly I darted up to them and sat beside them.

"What are you doing up here, Megan?" asked Bri's mom.

"There's a guy down there that's creeping me out and I don't know many other people here." Her dad stood up.

"Come down with me. I'll keep him away from you." I nodded and followed. But Matthew was gone.

"That's weird. He was just here."

"If he's scaring you, you should go to the police."

I nodded. "I will. Tomorrow."

Evan met me afterward and I immediately spewed out what happened. "Come on. We're going to the police station right now. Who knows what he might try tonight." We'd lost the game, but neither of my parents would be home until very late at night and Madelyn was at a friend's house spending the night.

"No objections here." He sped toward downtown, almost getting a speeding ticket. "Ease up. It's not the accelerator's fault."

"Sorry." The dial eased down to a comfortable number and I sat rigidly against the seat. "If you want, I'll do most of the talking."

"That'd be great." I fiddled with my hands. "It's been a week, and he's showing up more often."

He held my hand and rubbed circles on the top to calm me. It worked too.