Chapter 29

Chapter 29

"My letter!" I jumped. Evan came in the kitchen to see me tearing open a letter from CVU.

"Read it aloud," he said.

I opened the letter. It was short. "Miss Jameson, although your application was extraordinary and you have all necessary qualifications, we regret to inform you that you have been denied due to lack of space." I didn't bother reading past that and sighed.

Evan had a frown on his face. "Those people have no clue what they're missing out on. You deserve to go to that school after everything you've done to get there."

I folded the latter back up and tossed it in the trash. "Where are you going to school?" I asked. He told me and I looked at the list of universities I'd been accepted to. "Here's one about five miles from yours. I'll go there, then I can still be around for Savannah."

He sat beside me at the table and grabbed my hand. The ring's stone was shining because of the light fixed above it, but the shine vanished as Evan slightly turned my hand. "I'm sorry you didn't get in."

"It's fine." I looked up and saw Savannah in the doorway, leaning in some. "Hi."

Her big eyes filled with tears and she ran up to Evan. He reacted by holding her tightly and not letting go, even while his eyes burned with questions.

I scooted over to rub her back. "Savannah, what's wrong?"

"Y-you're leaving. You promised you wouldn't."

I shook my head fervently. "No, no. I'm not leaving. All three of us are moving in a few months, but I'm not leaving."

She calmed down then, but there were still tears pooling in her eyes. "You're not? Evan said you might be."

I shook my head with a smile. "I'm not going anywhere."

I chose to believe that this was God telling me that I'm right where He wants me to be, so I needed to stay. Savannah would be heartbroken if I did.

That evening, while Evan and I were out, I brought it up. "You thought about what?" he asked rhetorically.

"Hear me out. I'm eighteen, in high school, and have moved in with you. I know I love you, but I wanted to be sure that this wasn't just what I wanted getting in the way of what God wants. It was only for a moment."

He nodded. "I've had the same worries before."

"With graduation coming up so soon, it's good we've both thought that over." He nodded in agreement.