Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"Nice to meet you, Megan." Shelly shook my hand.

"You too. This is Evan."

Evan smiled and shook her hand.

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen," he answered, "we both are."

"Your parents?"

"My dad's in prison, but it's for something petty." I rolled my eyes. "Mom passed, which is why my sister is here. Up until earlier today, I wasn't even aware my sister had survived."

She nodded. "Savannah's in her room, I'll take you up there. She's a strange child, compared to the others I have here. Always in her room, either on a computer or reading."

"What does she read?"

"Magazines," Shelly shrugged and knocked on a plain door. "Savannah?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I come in? I have visitors for you."

A small girl opened the door, probably two or three feet shorter than me. "Hi." Her hair was a darker blonde than Evan's, and her big eyes looked exactly like chocolate.

We walked in and I looked around. It was a plain room, but a poster from the movie God's Not Dead hung on the wall. I smiled at it. That was a great movie. I loved it.

Evan got down on her level and looked at her intently, probably scaring her. "I'm Meg," I told her to distract her from him.

"I'm Savannah. I never have visitors. Why are you here?"

"Savannah!" exclaimed Shelly in astonishment at her boldness.

"It's okay." I said.

"You look exactly like her," said Evan finally.

"Who?" she asked.

"My mom. She looks exactly like you."

"Cool. Can I meet her?"

"Uh, not exactly. Savannah, do you know anything about anyone other than these foster kids and parents?"

"Nope. Never have. But I do have this from before." She scrambled up onto her bed and picked up a thick leather book. She handed it to Evan and I saw that it was a Bible. It said "To: Savannah From: Momma, Daddy, and Evan".

Evan's face went white. "I know this Bible. I picked it out with Mom when I was eight."

"You're this Evan?"

He nodded and I smiled.

Shelly smiled a bit. "Savannah, I think we just found your family."

She screamed a bit in joy and jumped on Evan to give him a hug. "Megan, are you Evan's girlfriend?"

I nodded. "Yes. And in a few days I'm going to move in with him too." Evan still looked hesitant about that, but now that Savannah was here and we were going to figure out a way to take her home, I knew I had to move in. She needed an older girl in the house with her.

"Yay! We can be a family! Can I please go with them, Miss Shelly? Please?"

"Soon," she promised. "But not now, because then he wouldn't be able to keep you. He just needs to sign some papers and have them approved. By next week you should be out of here."

She jumped up and down before giving me a hug too and shoving a pen into Evan's hand. "Go!"

He smiled at me and I saw how happy he was.