Everyone's Tired and Lance has Questions

After the battle with Lotor and the story of how Voltron was created, the exhausted Paladins went to their rooms to destress except for Hunk. His preferred method of relaxation was baking a meal for everyone, and nobody was about to complain.

Everyone had their own ways of relaxing. Lance would have preferred to listen to music and fall asleep, but since Pidge stole back her headphones the week before, it wasn't possible. He walked to his room. He decided that he had nothing to do there and went to the kitchen to bake with Hunk.

As soon as Lance stepped through the kitchen doors, Hunk said, "Hey Lance, you know usually I like it when you keep me company while I bake, but right now I kinda need to be alone."

Lance wasn't too surprised. He'd seen Hunk like this the day before they got their final test scores.  "No problem, buddy!" Lance said, "Just  call me when it's ready, okay?" He heard Hunk hum in response and he left the kitchen.

On the way back to his room, he passed Keith, who looked grumpy as ever. Shiro must have made him stop training, Lance thought. It never made much sense to him why Keith would spend his time training when he could take a much needed break.

Then he remembered something that's been bothering him since the start of their last mission. Something that had to do with Keith. Although he didn't want to bother Keith and possibly make him even angrier, Lance's curiosity blocked out his impulse control and he turned around.

"Hey, Keith?" Lance asked, half expecting to be punched in the face. Keith turned to face Lance and crossed his arms.

"What do you want?" Keith asked. Lance noticed immediately by the tone in Keith's voice that whatever he was mad about, he wasn't going to take it out on Lance.

"I was just wondering...why did you volunteer to stay on the Castleship earlier?" Lance asked. After a few seconds of silence, Lance started to ramble in an attempt to fill it. "I mean. I would think you'd want to get back to Red because you miss her-"

"Lance."

"Like, I'm just assuming because I miss Blue, and I'm not saying I don't like Red I love her -"

"Lance."

"It's just that you're probably the best pilot here, and you should have been the last person to stay back, especially since I was-"

"LANCE." Keith said firmly, placing a hand on Lance's shoulder. Lance stopped rambling and made eye contact with Keith.

Keith said "I told you not to worry about being left out."

"But it doesn't make any strategic sense!" Lance protested. "I told you. This is war. We have to win for the universe, and I can't be holding the team back. Did you risk all that just to make a point?"

Keith shook his head. "Lance, you need to get it out of your head that you're the weakest link."

"But I-"

"No. You're not. The Blue Lion and the Red Lion chose you because they saw your strengths. I had you go out with the team because I knew you would be useful out there. And you were."

Lance stopped interrupting Keith.

Keith said, "I did what was best for the team. Aside from being a talented pilot, you're our sharpshooter. We need you out on the field with us."

Lance was speechless. Keith realized that his hand was still on Lance's shoulder and pulled it back. Neither spoke for a long time.

Finally, after several long minutes, Lance said, "That...makes more sense. Thanks, Keith."

"No problem," responded Keith. Another few seconds of silence followed. Keith said "Well, go relax. We need our sharpshooter to be well rested."

Lance smiled and the two of them started heading in opposite directions. Before they got too far, Lance called out, "Hey, Keith?" Keith turned his head.

"You get some rest too, we need our leader to make quick decisions."

Lance thought he saw a smile on Keith's face before he turned back.

Lance went to his room and collapsed on his bed, wrapping himself in his blanket. He fell asleep soon after.