Keith's gone. Now what?

((This chapter takes place after Voltron season 4 episode 1. I'm not going to follow the rest of the season's storyline, though. I'm just going to take this episode and run with it. Basically, all that's happened as far as this story's concerned is that Keith's with the Blade of Marmora and Shiro's the pilot of the Black Lion again.))

As much as Lance didn't want to admit it, he missed Keith. It's been, judging by the day and night cycles, roughly three weeks since Keith left Voltron, two and a half weeks since he last contacted them, and fifteen minutes since Lance thought about him last.

Without Keith, the team was different. It didn't work as well. Shiro was especially different. The first time they had a Voltron training session with Shiro subbing in for Keith, it was a nightmare.

Keith was impulsive and could be reckless, but he also listened to his teammates for strategies and heard them when they told him he was going too far or doing too much on his own. He gave general instructions that allowed each team member to improvise and experiment.

Shiro, on the other hand, needed a carefully thought out plan before attacking. He gave everyone instructions and scolded them if they didn't do as he had ordered. He knew there was strength in numbers, and he wanted each of them to perform the best that they could.

It's not like Shiro was a bad leader. He was a good leader for when they first started forming Voltron. The four other Paladins needed his instruction because they were in a new situation. Shiro was the most experienced out of all of them, and the team needed to be told what to do and how to do it because they didn't have the knowledge.

Now, however, the team worked well together under pressure. With Keith leading them, they were able to judge for themselves what needed to be done after he told them what guards to take down or where to find the information they were getting.

The difference between Shiro and Keith is how they view the team. Shiro saw Team Voltron as, well, Voltron. The team should act as one being to serve the same purpose. If someone doesn't do their job, the team won't work. The strengths and weaknesses of the team were an important part of strategy. Shiro was a master of strategy, and everyone knew it. They couldn't argue with him if they tried. Keith, however, saw the five Lions of Voltron. Individuals united under one purpose. He understands that there are multiple solutions to a problem, and that each of the Paladins is capable enough to figure out their own solution. And if they were stuck, they had the team to help them. Keith sometimes got carried away in his own plan, but the team was always there to be his impulse control if he needed.

Lance found himself ranting about this often. Never to Shiro, of course, but Hunk's heard it a few times, as has Pidge. Lance even ranted to Coran and Allura once. Each time he apologized for rambling, said he wasn't serious, and blamed it on lack of sleep.

When they were on missions, Lance often found himself wanting to playfully make fun of Keith or say something like "Hey, did you see that shot, Keith?" Before he realized that Keith wasn't there anymore.

Although Keith couldn't contact them directly, they occasionally received word about the status of  Marmora's missions. They usually knew which one Keith would be on, and every day, Lance-along with the rest of the team-would hope that the mission that Keith was on didn't fail. At the very least, they hoped there weren't any casualties.

One day, Allura let the Paladins sleep in. Lance, as soon as he woke up and realized this, was a bit worried. Whatever was happening next, the team needed to be well rested for. Lance hoped that it wasn't another mission that involved 36 hours without sleep.