Lance's Best Performance Yet

When Lance finally found his way, he peeked in, scanning the room, doing his best to look terrified in case he was seen. As he looked, he saw Lotor calmly directing his subordinates to get their attacks ready, but to hold their fire until they established a connection with the attackers.

"Lotor, the ship shook, what's happening?" Lance asked, rushing towards Lotor.

Lotor smiled. He cupped Lance's cheek and said "Don't fret, dear Blue. It's only a minor blow, nothing to be worried about." Lance reached up to grab Lotor's hand and nodded. "We will be safe, do not fear. Here, sit next to me, and I'll personally ensure your safety." Lance sat down at Lotor's feet and leaned into him. Lance closed his eyes and did his best to relax as much as he could. With everything that had just happened and will happen soon, he needed time to clear his thoughts.

However, Lance didn't have much time to relax. Lotor opened communications with their attackers and two faces appeared on the screen in front of him. Lance still didn't open his eyes. He didn't want to risk breaking character.

Lotor spoke in his calm, almost seductive, voice. "Ah, the Red and Green Paladins. Here to surrender your Lions?"

"In your dreams," Keith shouted at Lotor. "You have one of our Paladins. Give him back or we'll attack!"

Lotor chuckled. "Oh, you mean dear old Blue?"

Lance sat up when Lotor mentioned him. He opened his eyes and choked on his breath when he saw Keith and Pidge. He had missed them both so much. He wanted nothing more than to tell them this, but he couldn't or else his cover would be blown.

"Lance?"

Lance's heart broke. Keith was looking at Lance, a strange mixture of relief, confusion, and fear coming over Keith. He has no idea what's going on. I'm so, so sorry, Keith.

Lance stiffened. Lotor saw this and stood up, placing Lance in his seat and standing in front of him, as if protecting him.

"Lance, are you alright?" Pidge asked. "What's going on?"

"Give Lance back," Keith demanded. 

Lotor sighed. "I can do no such thing," he said. "Blue's safety is my first and foremost concern, and I cannot let him go back to such a toxic environment."

Keith and Pidge went back and forth with Lotor a few more times, throwing threats into the mix. Lance knew if he was going to say anything, he had to do it now.

Lance took a deep breath and yelled "Stop, stop it, I can't take it anymore!" Lotor turned around and looked at Lance, his expression softening.

"I..." Lance started. He had no idea how he was going to get this out. "I don't want to go back with you." Keith and Pidge gave him stunned looks. "Lotor's the only one who ever treated me decent - the only one who thought that I was more than a joke." Lance looked down at the floor.

"Lance," Pidge said, "I'm so sorry you ever felt that way. Please come back, we miss you."

Keith interrupted Pidge and said "There's no way I'm leaving here without you. I've only been back for ten minutes and already it's obvious how much you contribute to the team. We're falling apart, Lance. We need you, Lance." Keith swallowed. "I need you."

Lance was going to cry. He so badly wanted to tell Keith that he was lying. He wanted to hold Keith and tell him how much he loved and missed him. He needed to tell them it was all an act.

"Lies," Lotor hissed at them. "You only want him back because you realized how useful he was in his absence. You only want to use him, you have no care for him." Lotor turned back to Lance and said "However, in the end, it's your choice, Blue."

Lance looked straight at Pidge and Keith, blinking the same pattern he sent out to them when he was waiting in Lotor's room, hoping they would notice and understand. "I'm staying with Lotor," he said, still blinking. Please understand.

Pidge caught on and joined in on his act. "You won't get away for betraying us, Lance," She said. "Keith, come on, let's get Voltron and show Lance what exactly he turned his back on." Pidge cut off communications.

Lotor immediately said "Fire on the Lions." He then held Lance's cheek in his and said "Don't worry. I will never let them get you"

Lance looked up at Lotor and smiled. "I know you won't," he said.

The ship shook again. "Sir," an officer called, "Two more Lions have arrived."

"Fire at will," Lotor ordered.

Two lions, plus Pidge and Keith. That means one lion isn't here yet, Lance thought. That must be the clone, who probably blacked out again. Which means that Shiro...

"Lotor?" Lance asked in his smallest voice. He made himself shed fake tears. "I'm scared."

Lotor's glance softened. "Of course. Would you like to return to my quarters?" he asked. Lance nodded. "I cannot leave my station, but I will send an escort to ensure your safety." Lotor smiled and pressed his lips against Lance's head. Lance smiled and went with the escort.

Lance followed the escort until he was certain nobody could see them. Lance attacked the escort, surprising him enough to knock him over. Lance grabbed for the escort's weapon and smacked the butt of the gun against his head, knocking him out. Lance ran off to get Shiro, knowing that it was only a matter of time before Lotor knew what he had done. Lance ran down corridor after corridor, hoping he was going the right way.