Back in Time: VI

Hyungwon's POV

School had just ended. As he packed his bag quietly, as he always did, he noticed the empty seat at the back of the class.

No one talked about Hoseok, not even Kihyun, after he left the school in a tearful mess the other day. The punch left a huge bruise on Hyungwon's cheek, but he didn't blame Hoseok.

It was sweltering outside. Hyungwon decided that he'd take the shorter, shadier path home that day.

There were usually stray dogs along that path, but Hyungwon decided he'd rather take the risk than walk in the open in this weather.

He waved goodbye to some people along the way out of school. He was about to plug his earphones in when he saw Kihyun approaching him.

"I know I'm in no position to ask this favour of you, but..." his voice trailed away. "You see, ever since Hoseok got expelled, he's been uncontactable. I was hoping..."

Hyungwon placed a hand on Kihyun's shoulder. "I'll keep an eye out in case I see him. Don't worry." Kihyun looked at Hyungwon, his eyes filled with gratitude.

"Thank you." He bowed deeply to him before leaving.

Hyungwon walked towards the neighbourhood park where the trees provided the much-needed shade.

He was about to go down the shortcut when he noticed a figure slumped against a tree.

He knew he should be minding his own business, but wild dogs usually appeared in this area at this time of the day, so he should at least warn him about it.

What he greeted his eyes nearly made him sick.

There was blood. Everywhere.

Hyungwon dashed forward and shook the person, trying to wake him up.

When the person's head rolled to one side, Hyungwon got a good look at his face and he froze when he realised who he was.

Shin Hoseok.

Hands trembling, he pulled his cardigan out of his bag and pressed it against Hoseok's bleeding arm. He called for the ambulance with his free hand.

Blood was already soaking his cardigan through. He placed a finger under Hoseok's nose. He's still breathing, but barely.

It felt like an eternity, but the ambulance eventually arrived and the paramedics took Hoseok away.

As he watched them load the stretcher with Hoseok on it into the ambulance, he dialled Kihyun's number.

"Hello, this is Hyungwon. I...found Hoseok..."

-