Chapter Nine

Nine

It didn't take the two of them long to find the rest of the dead trader's group. They did a poor job of keeping their voices low, but out here, who would be around to hear them? They were well aware of how desolate the Valley was. No person dared to come through here. If Faine— a Northerner and a fugitive Khalysrian, for heaven's sake— knew that this was their territory, surely every man and woman and child in Asaan knew it too. How Ellegra hadn't even heard of them sparked confusion in her that she didn't want to dwell on. Why hadn't Baz told her? And if he hadn't, did he even know? Questions paced through her mind like mice on a wheel running after a dream they would never catch.

Faine took short breaks, keeping them a safe enough distance away from the rest of the traveling pack. He counted and ranted off eight, possibly nine of them. "They're just watering their horses," he said, almost annoyed. "I didn't see horses last night. Did you?" Ellegra's mind reversed in memory before she shook her head. "Where did they come from?" he said, quietly enough so that it was to himself. Backing away, he settled in the sand next to her, his hip slightly brushing her and his arms stretched over his knees.

She tried hiding her broken ankle, keeping it slightly propped up on the other, hoping to keep the pressure off of it; but the further they walked, the more it hurt and the bigger it got, swelling with pain and under the heat of the sun. She couldn't touch it without wincing.

They rested side by side, her with her head back and him with his body tense and ready to spring into action at a moment's notice. Nudging her with an arm, he pushed a canteen into her hand and nodded towards her. With a murmur of something resembling "thank you" she raised it to her lips and downed however much she could without the guilt drowning her first, leaving an inch left inside before handing it back to him, once again muttering a few words of thanks that he didn't notice.

There were moments where Ellegra felt more than confused about her suspicions of Faine. One moment, he was handing her a flask of water to keep her alive, and the next he was urging her off to continue without him, knowing she wouldn't make it a day out here without his help. He hadn't exactly told her, but it wasn't hard to figure out what he was. Chiseled face, lean and tall body with defined muscles. A mercenary had to keep his shape, no matter what. He had to be prepared for anything, no matter the job. Even if it meant helping someone like her. Sitting so close to him now, he seemed kind— or at least nicer than he had been the night before.

He helped her to her feet as the traders began to move. He turned to look at her. "Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked. Lifting her chin and taking a deep breath, she nodded and looked him directly in the eye.

"Yes," she said firmly. "Wouldn't you if this was someone you loved?" His brow twitched in surprise at her question. "If she's alive, I'm not going to leave her." Not like they left me, she thought, biting her last words off.

He raised a brow at her. "And if they don't fall for it?"

"You get your pay either way." Scooping sand from the ground, she smeared it over her dry face and pushed it into her hair. She was positive she looked plenty ragged, but she made little tears in her shirt and pants just in case. Taking position in front of him, she started walking towards them. "The purse is tied to my hip. If it doesn't work, it's yours under one condition." She glanced over her shoulder at him. "Find my friend and get her out."

Then she took off at a dead run, screaming wildly and forcing tears to her eyes. "Help!" Ellegra ran straight towards the traders, Faine directly in step behind her, chasing her just like a savage would. "Please! Help me!"

All eyes and ears turned towards them, her running towards them and Faine right on her heels. Just as she reached the group, his hand snaked around her disheveled braid and yanked her back. Her head jerked against Faine's chest as he slammed into her, catching her waist and barring her with another arm against her throat. All the while, she struggled, tears streaming from her red eyes and her nails clawing at his hands.