Chapter Eighteen

Eighteen

There was something oddly calming about Fort Azra that never seemed to leave Ellegra's veins. The longer they stayed in the small city and stared at its great walls, the more she felt a need to pay the innkeeper more for an extra day. She didn't want to leave Asaan. Part of her childhood was here. The same sand she stood on was the sand she'd walked on as a little girl, blown in the wind and carried miles from place to place, city to city, home to home. The sky was just the same as the remembered. She remembered days where she and Arem would sneak up to the roof, laying flat against the shingles with their feet braced against the steep slant to keep them from sliding. They would point out stars and tell meaningless stories of the monsters and people they created in the night sky.

Ellegra pulled herself from her thoughts and sat up in bed, her eyes scanning over the other two figures lounging in the next cot over. Sometime during the night her back had finally declared it'd had enough and demanded a soft place to sleep. With her bruised rib still giving occasional throbs, Ellegra wasn't going to argue. Romi easily agreed and moved to sleep on the floor. Tamshie moved over and welcomed her. Sitting up now, Ellegra slowly let her legs slide to the ground and her bare feet brush the hardwood floors. She ran a hand down her face, her hand slick with sweat. It had been another sleepless night, and her back wasn't the only one still healing. Her nightmares had started off as usual. Cilas had taunted her, sliced her, hurt her just as he had a million times before. Her heart raced and she energy built under her skin, the air around her chilling with a vortex that swarmed around her. She had expected the sword to come down, dig into her eye and rip away that final piece of hope that she clung to, wanting to believe he wasn't the monster she knew him to be.

But last night's dream was different. Instead of Cilas bringing the sword down onto her, it was Arem. His wrists were clasped in heavy chains. A look of emptiness shadowed his face. She begged, screamed at him to stop, to look at her. The sword followed through, and she woke up with the searing pain in her eye and a deep ache in her heart. She'd collapsed back onto the pillow, burying her face into it and muffling her whimpers and soft sobs.

Ellegra turned towards the window, noticing the high sun of early afternoon. Her skin itched and her hair scratched her cheeks. She knew she smelled, and sighed as she grabbed her sword from under the bed.

"Are you okay?" Tamshie asked. The young girl rolled onto her side and stared up at her, her folded fingers rubbing her eyes.

"I'm fine," said Ellegra, pausing to stare at her numb hands. Tiny specs of blood marked her skin. "I was going to the bath houses. Do you want me to leave you money so you guys can go later?"

Tamshie bit her lip and pushed herself up more. Romi stirred, craning her head back to look up at Ellegra standing over her. Her head fell back down. Her snoring resumed several seconds later. Tamshie frowned, her eyes softening at her friend. The dark circles around her eyes grew bigger, the glassy covering growing in her friend's eyes. She could practically see the remnants of Ellegra's dream flashing in those hazy golden eyes. Though she hadn't said it bluntly, her meaning was clear. She didn't offer to have them follow. She wanted time alone, time to herself. Tamshie nodded, giving her a small, reassuring smile. "Sure."

Ellegra left two senzis on the table between the beds and darted from the room. Her head swam with the pieces of last night, she didn't even feel the blisters on her feet aching until she was finally paused and waiting to be served in one of the bath houses. A small woman with her front teeth missing gave her a wide smile and ushered her into a room with a square pool. Steam rose from the fragrant water and spilled through the air, filling her senses with the peace and calm she needed. Her body sagged into relaxation and she closed her eyes and threw her head back to breathe in the aroma of fresh soap and flowers. Sunshined poured into the room through the glass window above, the light blazing from early afternoon. The rays caressed and kissed her skin as she stripped down her clothes and stepped carefully into the water. Her sensitive feet instantly screeched at the heat, but the further in she went the more they welcomed the feeling of relief that swept through them.