Chapter Two

They didn't get me a stretcher.

Hell, they basically dropped me into a metal chair after herding me into a dark room, and left me to wait for the past hour. I was in such deep shit. All these years, I managed to live under the radar successfully, and just one road stop ruined everything. I'd be lucky if forced manual labor ended up being my punishment.

The door to the room opened and in walked two people: one I recognized as the lady I had risked everything for, and the other, a face I didn't think I would ever see again.

It's been three years since I left him, and when I had left, I promised myself then, that when— if — I'd ever see him again, I would be ready. But now here I sat, completely and utterly shook to the bone, as my childhood friend/ex stood right in front of me.

He looked just the same as the day I last saw him. That same cold, mysterious beauty that managed to bewitch every single person he came across; that same polished composure that was as impeccable as the smooth surface of a body of water; those same warm depths of black eyes and those unruly curls of ebony hair.

We were the only mixed children in our neighborhood growing up. Eastern Asia was among the first to fall to the Horrors' chaos, so in this time, Orientals were a sparse race. Rarities were commonly the most sought after and those with Oriental blood would be traded in the black market for high prices. Indisputably, it was a rare chance to spot an Oriental no matter where you were in the world.

Wren regarded me all too eagerly, his strong gaze battling my own.

"Yui," he began, his voice soft and filled with relief.

The quiet swirled around me and I took a moment to gather my composure before reaching up to pull back my hood. I felt his eyes sweep around my features, searching for something feverishly before they calmed.

"I hate to interrupt this oh-so-sweet reunion, but I have a dinner at seven that I don't want to miss," the lady from before stepped up to the table and pulled out her chair harshly, the metal screeching against the floor for a gruesome few seconds before she finally sat down.

The smile on her perfect, cake-face was overly phony as she said, "So, how does it feel to finally own up to your sins, thief?"

I snorted, "Don't talk as if I murdered people. Sure I did a little stealing here and there, but it was to help people since you guys seemed too caught up in your own damn problems to care."

"Yui!"

I ignored Wren and focused my eyes on the woman, who didn't seem to mind my accusation. She smiled, "You've been ransacking our storage buildings and stealing our supplies. Even if it is to help others, it's still a crime."

"It's not my fault you guys are lousy in guarding your shit."

If she was angry, she didn't show it. The woman swept her bangs away from her brow with a red manicured finger, smiled, and said, "Anyways, fortunately for you, you won't be sent out of the Curator."

I snickered, "Oh I'm so thankful. You people are very generous aren't you, you old bat?"

That irritating smile finally dropped and Wren shifted on his feet, obviously uncomfortable with all that was going on. I smiled to myself, pleased, "Well, since I won't be thrown over, can I be released now?"

"No."

I paused, "No?"

"Your potential for the Arsonian Project is far too high for us to just release you," she plastered another fake smile, "Your friend, Wren, will be accompanying you to the Hero Corps Institution."