Chapter Nine

My eyes swept our surroundings desperately, searching for anything that'd get us to higher ground. The woman leading the front of the group seemed to have the same idea, because she pointed out a low hanging ladder coming up quick from the right side.

The first four people made it up with no problem, but the dark-skinned man tripped by the time I caught up. I threw a tortured look behind us, knowing how easily a horde of that number can overwhelm a combat craft, and acting on impulse, I grabbed the man and maneuverer him to a height that he could climb up from before catapulting my combat craft to the roof. It was a good thing I was quick on my feet, because not a second later, the first of the horde came snarling at our close escape.

I panted, trying to slow down my heart rate, and feeling overheated, I slammed the eject button and crawled down. I didn't dare peek over the ledge. My mom remained in the cockpit, her face pale, and worried, I approached.

"Do you want to stay in there?" I questioned, holding my hand out to her, "It's hot, come out."

She panting for a few moments before shaking her head with furrowed brows, "Let me rest. I'm so dizzy from your driving."

I huffed, "I wasn't driving. I was piloting."

Someone handed me a half-empty water bottle and I took it to give to my mom, who urged for me to drink it instead. Only after I took careful swigs did she finally drink after me.

The brunette woman sitting from across nudged my boot with hers, "Where'd you come from?"

"North from here. You guys?"

She ignored my question, "From the tower?"

"We came in from sector five looking for refugee but this place was just as bad," the burly man sporting a full beard said. He looked homeless, his white skin smudged brown with dirt and grime.

"Where'd you get the grenade?" I asked.

A young woman with pretty almond-shaped eyes and caramel skin stepped up. Her hair was large, gnarled curls framing her head like a lioness. She gave a tired smile and said, "Got it off a tanker. No one was using it or anything..."

"Great," I scoffed, "well, now the entire neighborhood of crazies and their mothers are going to come this way. Wouldn't be surprised if a Horror came creeping in to see what caused all the excitement."

All of them looked terrified in the next moment.

"Thank you,"

We all turned to the combat craft, where my mom faintly smiled from. She nodded to the man who saved the both of us earlier. He had dreadlocks tied up and skin slightly darker than the previous woman's.

"Thank you for bringing my son and I along. I'm Ms. Hua and he is Yui."

"Fang," I corrected.

He nodded, "Marquis."

The Asian boy raised his hand, "I'm Teejay. You're a Hero, right?"

The brunette sitting from across massaged her temples, "I think the fucking Transformer gives it away."

The woman with the big curly hair plopped down beside me, "She's Jess and I'm Aliyah. The big guy with the beard is Neil. How old are you, Fang?"

"I'm twenty, why?"

A hopeful look crossed her features, "I have a brother around your age. Do you attend the university five blocks away from here?"

Considering that he wasn't here, something bad must've happened to him. My image of her cleared, the wariness and mistrust letting up in the slightest bit.