Chapter Four

I rushed through the metal sliding doors and into the gymnasium, where a large cluster of cadets stood at the very center. The instructor was at the front of the group, next to a holographic board displaying bullet-point information he most likely was lecturing about.

I woke up to quite the predicament this morning. I hadn't been in my own bed, but instead in Wren's, who had also been sleeping right beside me— his arms and legs curled around my body like a python, which made it impossible for me to move without waking him up. So I just lied there like a moron, staring up at the ceiling until I gathered enough courage to burst out of bed.

"You're late," the instructor reprimanded, "class, make your way over to the training station down the hall. Hua, you're with me."

Everyone all stood up at once and I moved aside to make way as the crowd migrated toward the other side of the gymnasium, to where they all managed to filter through a single door opening. I quickly followed.

"You missed introductions, so you're just going to have to learn as you go. Right now, we're going to the training center to see your compatibility levels. It's the least to look forward to, which is why we usually do it early into the program."

We walked through a dimply lit hallway and entered a completely different room. It was so dark that I kept a hand out to make sure I didn't bump into anything as I slowly followed the form of the instructor. All the students were standing before a large window overlooking an arena of some sort down below.

"Alright," the instructor called out to no one in particular, "do we have any volunteers who want to get this over with first?"

Nobody raised a hand.

My heart jumped when the instructor turned my way with an expectant look, "How about you, newbie?"

I felt the nerves officially set in when every single eye in room averted to my rigid form. It took a moment before I could form a coherent word, "Me?"

The instructor didn't waste another breath, his expression said it all.

"Okay, I'll do it."

It's not like they would send me out to my death, right? The question hung uncomfortably in my mind as I followed the instructor into a lift that would take us down to the lower level. When the doors slid open silently, he turned to me.

"Follow the directions of the voice that will be speaking through the speakers. It's as simple as that."

"Easier said than done," I sighed.

I stepped out into the dark space and just stood there, staring into the darkness. It was when I heard the soft click of the elevator doors sliding shut behind me that the switch finally flipped on, bathing the entire arena in white light. I recoiled with a hiss, throwing my hands up to shield my face.

"We will now commence with the first half of the compatibility exam," a disembodied male voice echoed throughout the arena, its source coming from the dark windows from across, menacingly looming from above, "please remove your shirt and step forward into the platform ahead of you. Keep your arms close to your sides and legs shoulder width apart."

I lowered my gaze to the metallic object glinting from the ground and eyed it suspiciously as I pulled off my long sleeve. I stepped up onto the small rectangular platform and three short hums went off before everything flashed all around me. Metal walls enclosed from all sides and a rush of cold air hit my body all at once, raising goose bumps along my skin. I shivered and clenched my fists tightly, heart in my throat.

"Uh," I gave a nervous laugh despite the panic rising in my chest. I didn't even get the next words out of my mouth when what felt like a thousand sharp needles pricked into my exposed flesh in the next second. I yelped and clenched my jaw as a cold numbness began to spread throughout my limbs. My hearing narrowed to where I could just make out the thumps of my own heartbeat pulsing in my ears.