four

Nicole carefully parks her truck into the spot that's assigned just for her. The whole ride to her work, she hadn't turned on her radio. She hasn't done this in a while, it's grown to be a strange habit she developed a while after Waverly had left. Every song had reminded her of Waverly, and she was just so sick of thinking about her. All songs, no matter happy or sad, were like torture when she was feeling like she was. The happy ones made Nicole think of what they could've been if she had only acted differently. At first, Nicole had been confused, worried, even. She didn't understand why Waverly just ignored her like that. But after three weeks or so, she started blaming herself. She told herself she panicked and asked too much of the girl. She shouldn't have asked her out that morning and she shouldn't have made Waverly tell so much about herself. Nicole genuinely believes she scared away the young dancer, just like everyone else in her life.

And then there were the sad songs, which made everything even worse. One night, Nicole was driving to her mom's, a piano ballad came on and she had to stop her car on the side of the road because she couldn't contain her sobs any longer. Ever since that incident, she hasn't even dared touching the power button of her car-radio.

So now, she sits in the driver's seat of her Chevrolet, surrounded by deafening silence. She sighs deeply and looks into her rearview mirror. The person she sees in her reflection startles her, she's shocked by how much she's changed. Her eyes seem to have permanent bags under them, and they are certainly not Versace. Her skin started breaking out again and her face no longer carries the joyful expression she used to have. She attempts to fix her hair by combing it through with her fingers. It doesn't do much, but she decides it's enough. Finally, she hurries out of her car and into the building, prepared for another long day.

-

"Hey, Haught, you done for the day?''

I was just getting my things out my locker when Aaron walked in. I told him my shift just ended and I was getting ready to go home. I shove my dirty clothes and other belongings into the sport's bag I bring to work every day while making small talk with my co-worker.
''How's your mom?'', he asks. I'm taken aback a little by this sudden question.
''She's alright. Has been better, of course, but she's good.'' I try my best to give him a sincere smile.
''Good, good.'' Silence falls over us as we both get ready to leave and go home. What he says then stops me in my tracks.
''Say hi to Mr. Stephens for me, by the way.''
''What do you mean?'', I try to ask without too much unknowingness in my voice.
''He told you to drop by his office..'', he takes a look at his watch, "right about now, actually. Remember?''
I must've forgotten, or no-one even told me at all. Whichever it is, I was not really planning on this conversation, to be honest. It's not like I have way more important things I should be doing, but I'd rather appreciate watching a Disney movie with Janey and a load of comfort food on my couch instead of having a talk about whatever he wants to talk about with my boss. I thank Aron for reminding me and rush off to Mr. Stephens, who I already see waiting for me when I arrive at his door. He motions for me to come in and I do so, closing the door shut behind me.

''You wanted to see me?''
''Yes'', he smiles, ''Take a seat.''
''Oh, actually I'd rather not, I was just going to-'' He interrupts me before I can even make up an excuse.
''Sit, Nicole.'' His voice sounds stern all of a sudden and it surprises me, since he was usually always friendly with me. I slowly do what he asked me to and sit down on the expensive-looking chair in front of his desk. I look at a photograph that sits in front of him that perfectly captured his two daughters and wife smiling happily at the camera, and it reminds me of when I used to watch his girls when they were just babies. My boss and I's relationship was unlike all of the stereotypical ones you saw portrayed in films and on television, I guess you could say we're good friends. Besides, as a boss, he was reasonable and listened to all of us, I really was so lucky to have gotten this job.