47. An Invite

Chapter forty-seven.

I fiddled the unopened letter between my hands, studying the cursive handwriting on the envelope as a furry paw tried to gain my attention. I smiled and pushed the black paw away from my ankle, before picking the cat up, holding her into my bosom.

"I've missed you too, silly cat," I hummed into her soft fur, her stomach instantly giving out a loud purr, "Shall we read the letter together then?"

I sat down on the bed, the cat in my lap, stroking her head against my cheeks as I tried to open the envelope.

"Li, I know it must have been dreadful here without me, but please personal space," I tried to communicate to the eagerly cuddly animal, her claws scratching the thick paper.

Oh how I wished this was a letter from Sirius, I thought bitterly, chewing on my lip as I unfolded the letter, the same cursive handwriting as on the outside filled the lonely page.

'Hello, Alissa.

I am so sorry we didn't get a chance to have any more tea meetings before the holidays. Therefore I wanted to wish you a pleasant Christmas, and also I would like to invite you to London on the second of January.

Me and my husband, together with some close friends to us recently founded a small group, where we openly and freely can discuss topics that other groups within the wizardry community wouldn't exactly approve of. Such as the topic we discussed the last time.

I would love to see you and perhaps your friends there. There's no such importance than the voices of the youths in our threatened society.

If this sound at least a tiny bit interesting, send an owl to the owlery at Hogwarts. I will be staying here for a couple more days.

Best regards,

William Thistle.

Merry Christmas.'

I read the words twice before my lips curved into a smile. Professor Thistle, why can't more people be like you?

I folded the letter and laid it down upon my nightstand, rushing over the room to grab a paper and a quill but before I got the chance to sit down and write him back a loud noise from downstairs caught my attention.

The vociferous voice of Ophelia Fione echoed through the entire house, and a brief sigh left my mouth. If grandmother was here, it meant the end of the peace around the house for at least three days to come. I wished there was some way to get away from this meeting, at least for a couple more hours. With heavy steps I stood up from behind my desk, walking out of my room to greet my grandparents.

"Alissa!" Grandmother cried out, sounding more like a runny crow than the properly over-dressed woman in front of me. Her hair tied back in a stiff bun, the pearls around her neck dangling as she gave me a stiff hug.

"Welcome, grandmother," I forced a smile and quickly walked past her to the silent man behind her. His hair hidden underneath a black hat, his moustache covering the most of his face.

"Grandfather!" I smiled, giving the man a warm embrace, a chuckle growling in his stomach.

"You've grown," he noted, giving my shoulder a pat.

"So have you," I frowned, eyeing the bulge underneath his chest.

"I guess I should have seen that one coming," he laughed warm-heartedly, the sound enclosing me with nostalgia.

"Now now," his wife crowed, handing her large bag to my father, whom I could see swallowed a large sigh before smiling widely at the woman.

"Did you have a pleasant journey?" Father asked, lifting the heavy bag from the floor, struggling to keep a straight face at the weight. I stopped a laugh from escaping my lips, covering it up with a cough and father gave me a long look.

It was obvious to everyone that Ophelia Fione wasn't a likeable person, to everyone except herself.

"Well, if it hadn't been for all the muggles running around entire London in search for Christmas presents, and Adelmar's incapability to keep the time, the journey was alright," she kept on crowing while walking inside, "Where's my daughter?" She frowned, "Ainsley?" She then yelled, in an ear piercing tone, walking towards the kitchen in search for her daughter.

When she was out of eyesight, father dropped the bag onto the floor with a loud thud.

"Don't worry about that Eamon, I'll take care of it," grandfather hummed, nodding towards the bag and father smiled thankfully at the old man who followed his wife inside the kitchen.

"You at least got one day of peace and quiet," Father said in a hushed voice, a smirk dancing on his lips.

"Tell me again why we bother to invite her to our house every year?" I raised a brow, eyeing the closed kitchen door with dispraise.

"I believe it has got something to do with family bonds and all that, and if you ask your mother she would probably say; because of heritage," Father answered, the both of us bursting out into a loud laugh.

"Alissa!" A voice yelled at me from behind the closed door and a grunt left my mouth.

"And so it begins,..." I muttered, walking with trailing steps away from the hallway.

"Alissa," father spoke before I grabbed the doorknob.

"Yes?"

"It's good to have you and your sister home," he said with a warm smile, father's smile.

~
I'm so damn impatient when it comes to updating this story, haha.

And this chapter hasn't been edited yet. I will do that as soon as I get access to my computer.

Love you.