Family Drama.

"So will you be bringing anyone with you for dinner tonight?" My mother, Maxine, asked over the phone. It was now Sunday which meant dinner at my parent's place. It was something my family usually did each week, just so we could catch up and enjoy quality time with each other.

My family was close like that.

"I don't think so. Raya already has plans I think and Chelez has to work as always." I told her as I looked through my things for something to wear for tonight. I'd be with family so I didn't have to dress up but I did want to look presentable at least, especially since I knew Melanie would give her unwanted opinion about my attire.

"Still no boyfriend I see." She chuckled over the line, teasing me as always. Ever since I left for college my mother thought something would change in my love life and I'd find someone and for the longest time, it didn't.

I haven't even told her about Christian yet. Not even my two best friends knew that we were official. "You won't ever let that go will you?"

"Not until you find someone Mariah. Of all my four children, you're the ONLY one who still remains single. Now I'm not rushing you but I would love to see my youngest child happy." She stated, telling me nothing I haven't heard her say before. My mother has seen first hand of what my so-called love life has been like and why I haven't been so eager to find love.

I sighed into the phone, glancing over at my bed where Christian laid asleep. Ever since that night we've been joined at the hip. All Saturday I joined him as he went on errands and did some work. I had a good time watching him in his element and working his magic. He had a certain eye for things that I liked.

"Well I could bring someone else...but I don't know if he-"

"Bring him." She cut me off quickly without even a second thought.

"But mama, you don't even know who I'm talking about," I said knowing she wouldn't really care. All she heard was he and she was sold.

"Just bring him. Dinner starts at seven, don't be late." She left no room for arguments and I knew better than to protest.

"Alright, see you in a few." With that, she hung up and I dropped my head in defeat. Why did I have to go and open up my mouth like that? I wasn't even sure Christian would even want to meet my family and so soon at that.

I could just make up a lie and say he was busy but I knew my mom would see right through my lies, she always did. Those special mother powers I tell you.

I suddenly felt a pair of strong arms wrap around my waist causing me to jump in surprise. "That movie still has you scared I see." Christian's laced sleepy voice mumbled in my ear. I could feel the goosebumps rise on my skin.

"I thought you were asleep." I could've sworn this man was dead asleep not even a second ago. My body finally relaxed into his tight hold.

"No, I heard your conversation with your mom."

I pulled away and turned around to face him. A small giggle past my lips at his hair sticking up in random places. I ran my fingers through it to smooth it out. "You don't have to go. In fact, I would even advise you not to, my family can be a bit overbearing, especially my mom." I could already see her and my brothers bombarding him with a million questions the whole time.

"Oh, so you're ashamed to bring an Asian guy home hmm?" He playfully accused me, pouting like a child.

"You know I'm not Rome. I'm pretty most of my family would love you just for the simple fact that I'm happy." My folks never cared about ethnicity, it was all about real love and genuine feelings.