Chapter 2--Chicken Omelette's or Strawberry Jam Toast?

Logan

Wow, I really don't feel like getting up today. Seriously. The moment my alarm went off I probably could have hit it on snooze and never gotten out of bed. I'm glad I always set my alarm at least an hour before I actually have to get up. It gives me time to conjure the willpower to move.

When I finally stand up, I check the time only to realize I don't have to rush.

Must be a good day, I think to myself contently. On bad days, it takes every bit of my energy to get out of bed. It's the constant self-motivation that's utterly exhausting.

"Sur," I call into the apartment as I drag my bare feet into the kitchen. I yawn as I start to prepare my coffee. While pouring water into my coffee machine, Cap'n decides to join me.

Cap'n is probably the bitchiest cat in the world. When I first rescued her, all she would do was hiss and swat at Sur and I. Her hatred was so profound it wasn't surprising she couldn't be adopted. That and the small detail that she's missing one eye. If it weren't for the fact she's cruel, eyeless, and a black cat, she would have easily been adopted.

Cap'n jumped onto the counter. Taking a seat by my coffee machine as I clicked the start button. I briefly stroked her long soft fur before going to the fridge and getting her food. It took a long time for her and I to get to this level of comfort. I love her more now that she accepts me, but she's not the most affectionate pet either.

"Come on Sur," I call again. "Get your tail in here or you're skipping breakfast."

At the sound of the word 'breakfast,' I instantly hear the clatter of nails against the floor. Sur comes into the kitchen, wagging his tail as soon as he sees me. "There's my hideous boy," I smile down at him causing him to wag harder.

His butt is moving so hard that he almost falls to the side. Curtesy of his missing back leg. That's right, my dog is three-legged and he's amazing as ever.

Sur is the first pet I ever saved from the pound. It was by sheer accident I ended up at the local animal facility. To be completely honest, I've forgotten why I went there in the first place. The point is, Sur was there. He's the definition of a mutt. With shaggy gray and brown hair that looks like it belongs to a fifty-year-old man. He's medium size with ears too large for his head and one of those ears is chipped. He ended up at the vet after a car hit him. Sadly, they had to amputate his leg. But he was nice enough that they sent him to the pound for the chance of adoption.

I've tried several years to guess what kind of dogs he originates from. But his parents must have been mutts too. Anyways, after months at the pound, they were going to put him down. The animal shelter is always full. No one wanted to adopt Sur and the shelter needed to make more room for more dogs. When I asked one of the staff members what was wrong with Sur they simply shrugged and said, "He's too ugly. Too old. Missing a leg. No one wants him."

I was hesitant about getting a dog. This was back when I was a junior in high school and attending a boarding school. The only time I'd be able to see Sur was during the summer and certain school breaks. It also meant abandoning my new dog with either my parents or sister. In the end, my sister took Sur in until I finally moved into my own place on campus. He never forgot me. Deep down, he must know I saved his life.

It was when I had my own place that I also adopted Cap'n. Sur tried to be nice to her at first, then he just grew the habit of ignoring her. Cap'n grew up on the streets meaning she hardly got along with him. At first, she didn't get along with me. Then she realized I'm the one with the access to her canned food and catnip, which for her meant she could now tolerate my presence. It took almost a year of getting used to each other, but finally now Cap'n and Sur get along enough where they can be in the same room. However, Cap'n will occasionally get annoyed and hiss at my dog.