Chapter 17--Double The Trouble Like Jessie And James

Logan

Ever since Halloween night, whenever I close my eyes I see Harper. I can still feel the way her hand settled in mine. I can hear the way she told off that girl. But most importantly, the dancing. Her hips would slowly move with mine. Her hands would trail down my arms whenever she'd face me. In the strobe lights, I could see her laughing and having fun. But when I dipped her and she stretched back, I nearly lost it.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about her. Thinking of what it would be like to kiss her. God, I say in my head as I grab my leather jacket. I need to stop.

Harper gave me my jacket back the moment I dropped her off by her dorm building. It's the first time ever I've wanted to tell someone to keep it. And the fact I want to give her something so symbolic isn't good. She has a boyfriend. She's taken and I'm just going to be the bad guy if I get in the way of their relationship.

Speaking of Vincent, he invited me to Guys Night. Bros Night. Whatever it's called. Honestly, I don't want to go. I mean...it's weird, right? The guy that invited me is the boyfriend of the girl I like. It sounds like a bar fight just waiting to happen.

I contemplate texting Vincent that I'm feeling under the weather. Then I remember how excited Harper was when she talked about me going to Guy's Night. She wants Vincent and I to get along and possibly be friends. I groan and start tying the laces of my converse.

Vincent texts me the name of the bar he and his friends will be at. I turn to look at Sur. He's chewing on the new toy I bought him for his Gotcha Day. At the party, I made sure to tell Dan not to give Sur any alcohol. One time he did and Sur ended up drunk. Have you ever seen a drunk 3-legged dog try to walk? It was funny but I didn't appreciate it in the morning. Besides, the next day I chewed Dan out because dogs aren't supposed to drink beer.

"I'll be back soon boy," I say to Sur as I grab my beanie. He looks up at me briefly before back at his toy.

The moment I step outside, I pull my jacket closer to me. It's November. It's cold now. Not nearly what it's going to be like in January but I like the cold. It makes my sweatshirts and long sleeves more normal. It's also great incentive to be at home and not have to socialize.

I take my car to the bar. As I pull onto the street lined up with college students that are all enjoying their night—I feel my stomach sink. I don't want to be here...

For Harper, I think to myself as I step out of my car.

I side step a group of girls that are all exiting the bar. When I'm finally inside, I scan the room. Sure enough, Vincent is sitting at a booth with a group of guys. They all start to laugh and for a moment I consider turning around. These guys are not my kind of people.

"Hey Lo," Vincent sees me and calls out my name.

I take a deep breath and muster all the power I have to walk towards Vincent's booth. His friends all look at me curiously. I'm not exactly intimidated by them, after all they all look like sophomores and juniors. But I do quickly realize I'm outnumbered. All of them are normal. And my normal I mean not at all like me.

They look like your typical frat guys. Hair nicely made. Polo or button-down shirts. Khakis. God, I hate khakis. I'm not judging them for how they dress and look. But I know they're not going to like me. I'm a punk and they're...well...whatever you want to call normal people I guess.

I recognize one of the guys sitting beside Vincent. He was at the soccer game managing all the technical stuff. I try to remember his name but can't. Until Vincent introduces him as Johnny and then it clicks. "Guys this is Lo," Vincent says as I take my seat beside him. I look up at everyone and give a hesitate grin and wave. "Lo this is..."