ten

"Do we have milk?"

Nicholas looked through his terrible memory, trying to remember if they did have milk laying around in the apartment, and of course he wasn't sure. He reached out to open the clear fridge in the grocery store, grabbing the cold milk carton, and gently placing it on the cart. 

Elijah raised a brow at him.

"Better to be safe than sorry," shrugged Nicholas, pushing the cart forward with Elijah hot on his tail. 

"Why didn't you just make a list before we went shopping?"

"I forgot," he muttered.

Elijah rolled his eyes. "Jesus, Nick. I tell you this a million times," he said, giving Nicholas a look. 

"A million isn't enough."

"Thanks for stating the obvious," Elijah said, sarcastically. "I'll be sure to contact you when I'm feeling particularly clueless."

"That's what friends are for," grinned Nicholas, knowing that he was getting under Elijah's skin. 

He glared, "You're really painful to be around sometimes."

"Painful is a weak word for a college student."

"What do you suggest I use then?" asked Elijah as he eyed the ice cream section. 

"Agonizing, harrowing, distasteful, vexatious, excruciating, tedious-"

Elijah cut him off. "Shut up! I get it you read a lot. My brain is already hurting from all those words," he groaned. 

Nicholas chuckled, watching his friend rub at his temples, mentally murdering Nicholas for the headache. These were the precious memories that Nicholas held close to his heart. He never really had friends, especially not after the disturbing accident. Not even his parents thought he was worth the struggle. 

Elijah was different. He believed God more than he believed in his gaming skills, which was saying an awful lot for a gamer like Elijah. He had more games on his console and Steam account than Nicholas did, way more. They were two competitive gamers that found enjoyment at angering strangers on the internet. That was the very essence of their friendship.

However, Elijah had a contentment that Nicholas never knew the meaning of. When Elijah felt down, he prayed or read the Bible. He had a spiritual awakening, which made Elijah adored by all. It bothered Nicholas at times because he knew that he would never feel the pleasures of life like Elijah did. 

"Hey, Elijah?"

"What do you want?"

Nicholas smirked, "You certainly are toxic, need a little NaCl with that?" 

When Elijah saw Nicholas pick up the salt container, he pinched the bridge of his nose, exhaling deeply. Nicholas chucked the container into the cart, hearing Elijah mumble a string of unfriendly words. 

"Pretty sure a Christian role model like you shouldn't be saying such words," teased Nicholas.

"Have you met yourself?"

Nicholas gave a sideways glance at Elijah, his blue eyes glimmering with jest.

Elijah simply ignored him, walking further ahead, and his plaid button-up clinging to his body as he shoved his hands into his jean pockets. Nicholas laughed quietly to himself, feeling carefree for a sliver of time. It had been a while since he allowed himself to be this unbearable to Elijah, and Nicholas believed part of the reason was Dina. She was influencing him in more ways than one.