fourteen

"So, you're telling me that Nico is gay?"

"Yup."

"And he likes Percy?"

Dina shook her head. "He used to like him. He doesn't anymore. Apparently, Percy isn't his type," she shrugged as she scanned the shelves, looking for a book.

Nicholas had almost read the entire series of Percy Jackson. He was finally on the last book, much to Dina's pleasure. She had walked in earlier, returning a stack of books that she had borrowed and was once again in a quest to find another. Nicholas didn't mind.

"That's a little harsh," he commented.

She paused her steps, turning to look up at him. "What do you mean?" she asked.

"Percy got rejected."

Placing a hand on her hip, she gave Nicholas a knowing smile.

"What?"

"I thought you said the book series was childish."

He averted his gaze to a nearby wall, finding it to be more interesting than the smug expression on her perfect little face. A familiar red crept behind his neck, burning his cheeks as he felt a slight bit of embarrassment from having such a conversation. He knew what he said, and he said what he knew, which turned out to be completely wrong.

"Shut up," he mumbled.

A bubbly laughter echoed off the dusty books and into his ears; it was a sweet melody that she laughed, a sound of pure happiness. His blue eyes rose to meet hers, which were gleaming with delight. Nicholas felt pride well in his chest.

She finds me funny, he thought. I'm not just a random nerd, I'm funny to her.

"Oh, come on," she cooed, "I think it's adorable."

There went his heart again, erratically beating within his chest as he gazed down at her teasing smile. Something about her made him feel safe, made him feel different. He'd been closed off for years, quiet to the world's inhabitants, and wishing that there would be some miracle that could take him away from the torturous claws of life.

Nicholas was desperate.

As the days went on, his mind gave up more. He needed a relief, a freedom, a new life. He wished that he could turn back the clock and fix every mistake he ever made.

Maybe then he would have his friends by his side. Maybe then he would feel the warmth from his parents. Maybe then he wouldn't have fallen for Dina, a hopeless love that could never be.

Yet, as Nicholas gazed at her through his thick lashes, he felt satisfied by just being at her side. Dina was completely clueless to his emotions, she didn't know. Her arms outstretched above her, trying to reach a book, and Nicholas felt a wave of familiarity.

Just like when we first met. She was beautiful then too, but I never realized it.

"Nemo," she pouted as she kept trying to reach it.

Nicholas chuckled, reaching over her to grab the book. His arms brushed against hers, igniting a flame in the spot she touched, and Nicholas dropped the book.

Immediately, they both knelt down, reaching for it. She placed her palm firmly on the cover at the exact time that Nicholas did. The tingling sensation reached all the way up his arms, his body went still, carefully watching their hands. His palm touched the warm skin that was incredibly soft.

His fingers itched to pull her closer to him, to feel her lips on his, but something held him back. An inner force was pulling his reins, restraining Nicholas from doing the forbidden to her. He couldn't help it. His desire for her had gotten stronger and every moment felt intense as if her very existence would be the death of him.

Nothing seemed to matter because at that moment only Dina mattered. Nicholas couldn't find it within himself to pull his hand away, and it seemed as though Dina was having her own inner conflicts. She stared down at their joined hands with wide eyes, fear lacing inside her pupils. Her fingers shook against the book like she was accused of a crime. Her face had lost the color to it, making her seem terrified.

"Dina? What's going on?" he asked, removing his hand.

She was still in her daze, her lips parted as she softly breathed. Nicholas felt a strong urge to shake her. He hated himself, knowing that he stepped out of bounds.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

This seemed to snap her out of it. "What?" she questioned incredulously.

He sighed, putting some distance between the two of them. "I made you feel uncomfortable again, didn't I? I keep making mistakes with you and I'm so sorry," he whispered.

Dina's brown eyes softened at the small confession, but Nicholas felt even guiltier. He was ready to bang his head against the shelves, wishing that the world would swallow him up. Dina moved closer to him.

"Nemo?"

He grunted an incoherent response.

"It's not your fault. You didn't know."

"Why do you always freeze whenever I'm near you?" he blurted, unable to stop his curious mind.

The question surprised her, and she bit her bottom lip. He noticed that it was an action she did whenever she was unsure about something. The small action caused an uncomfortable shift below. Her teeth gently chewed on the tender skin, making it pinker in appearance, and Nicholas knew that there was something that Dina was hiding from him.

"It's just..." she trailed off. "I'm not used to boys, especially being close to them."

He tilted his head to the side. "Why?"

"I'm a Muslim, Nemo. We guard our chastity with every fiber in our being."

He swallowed the lump in his throat, realizing the meaning behind her words. She was to stay pure until her marriage. There was no testing the waters with a girl like Dina. She was not bound by societal pressures to be with a man, to experience the warmth of a man's touch. She was regarded with respect and was untouchable by all. It was either an eternity with Dina or one without her.

----

I have one thing to say. *Clears throat* MR. ZEMEL (AP Language teacher), LOOK AT ALL THE RHETORICAL TECHNIQUES I USED. Joking, I hope he never finds this.

Brownie points for whoever can name a few that I used ;)

Nemo is so cute, apologizing all the time to Dina. Anyway, don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!

 Anyway, don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!