VI :: The Beast with the Violin

▲▼▲▼

MORBID BITE

Chapter Six: The Beast with the Violin

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

▲▼▲▼

Belle sat on her bed, bandaging her feet with a few layers of soft cloth. Her hair fell over the tops of her toes as she balanced her leg on her knee. Feeling satisfied that walking would hurt less, she stood up and walked a few paces – just to make sure. Smiling, she carefully made her way over to the mirror where she picked up her brush and pulled her hair into a neat plate. She then headed for the door and out onto the landing, glancing around to check Sylvia wasn't anywhere to be found, she made her way downstairs. After seeing no sign of the woman, she made her way downstairs.

A man stood at the bottom of the stairs, peeling an apple with an ivory handled pocket knife. A dusting of dirt covered his face, giving him a rough look.

"Bonjour?" Belle asked in a questioning tone.

His striking blue eyes glanced up from his apple, and settled on Belle's face, a coy sideward smile spreading across his handsome face. Before he had time to answer Nicholas strolled out of his study, holding a folded letter.

"Ah, Belle." His face lit up as his gaze followed her down the main stairs. "This is my friend, Sébastien Lafleur."

"Enchanté, mademoiselle." Sébastien bowed down and took her hand, gently kissing her forefinger but lingering a second too long. Belle pulled away her hand and stared down at the gentleman, a smile tugging at her lips.

"Where were you heading?" Nicholas asked, a jealous look in his eyes as he stared aggressively at his friend.

"I was wondering if it would be possible to go into town. I need some sheet music and I fear there is none here." Belle slowly moved her gaze back to Nicholas, grabbing tightly to her beaded bag.

"Yes of course, I shall get Carlson to bring the carriage round," his tone was almost cold as he spoke to her.

"Oh, no need, I can ride...if you would lend me a horse?" Belle let out a small laugh, feeling the tension she had created between the two men.

"Yes um..." Nicholas stumbled his words, giving Sébastien a chance to interrupt.

"Please mademoiselle, take mine, she is already tacked up in the yard." He pointed towards the grey mare that Belle could see through the open front door.

"Thank you monsieur Lafleur, but I feel it rude, I barely know you."

"Please, I insist." He smiled and led her out onto the cobbles.

The stable man brought out a step and then helped Belle get up onto the horse. It felt almost foreign to her as she rolled her ankles in the stirrups; it had been so long since her last ride.

"She's a little stubborn on her left side, so make sure to tug quite hard," Sébastien said, standing by the horse's head whilst holding her reins.

"Thank you monsieur Lafleur. Will you be here when I return?" Belle politely asked, she found him quite amusing and his accent made her wonder about his travels.

"Well, that all depends if Nicholas will have me." He smiled and hit the horse's rump.

Belle set off a slow trout but as she became used to the hard saddle and rough leather reins she sped up; cantering through the forest, feeling the wind thundering her face. It did not take her too long to spot the town, its wooden houses scattered like seeds across a plain field. She rode down the mud path, searching for the centre. People walked past her, loud and dirty, but she did not mind. It was life outside her own, taking her away from the tortures of her mind.